hurt leg

arlia1625

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
my quail is 3 weeks old I didn't breed her. I just picked her up yesterday from the breeder. They said she has been having a limp for about 1 week and that they believe it was from when all the chicks were running to get food that she was trampled. she was in the brooder box when this happened with 2 other quail chicks and 4 chicken chicks. She still walks around fine and looks happy enough she just has a limp and now she is in a bigger enclosure with no chickens I'm hoping it will heal itself.
What should I do? Is there a chance she will heal herself? does she need a splint? should I put her down?

I wouls not put her down yet, give her patience and lots of love! Im not the best with injurys but i have a list of stuff for care if youd like to hear it. Ps: make sure she doesnt get bullied!

okay, I would love that list please. she has a friend and is looking pretty happy with the other quails and getting along good. but I will look out for bullying. Thanks.

Don't cull it, we just has a chick that got seriously injured in it's leg (her mom didn't recognize her for a second and grabbed it by the leg until we managed to make her let go), we examined her and were almost completely sure it was broken or she had damaged it's tendons at least; we're talking about a week or two old chick.
That day we tried to splinter it, but I guess we didn't do it right and so we decided to take it off. The next day we tried to see if mom recognized it and she did ufff it was a relief. The chick went on for about a week without using it's leg, we felt terrible and just weren't sure what to do, then another week passed and it started to put it's leg down a bit. We're now at maybe two weeks or three from the incident and the chick is basically fully recovered.
Give it a chance read that when they are little they definitely heal fast, just be sure it's really well fed and has lots of water.

Back
Top Bottom