Hurt leg

OlivesGang

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2022
I have an almost 8 year old Orpington. I found out on Thanksgiving my niece was chasing her around determined to pick her up-which she did 4 times!
Since then my hen hasn't been moving. We kept her isolated with food and water. I was afraid it was some bacterial infection and have her amox for two days. Today she got up and wanted to come out of isolation. She is limping and doesn't stand for too long. She is eating and drinking. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to BYC. Is she holding up one leg or putting weight on both legs? She may have sprained something or is very sore from being chased. Is there any swelling, redness, or green bruising over the entire leg? Visiting kids definitely need to be supervised with your chickens. I would let her be as active as she feels like, but place her in a dog crate or pen in the late afternoon to prevent her from roosting, and let her out in the morning. If a vet is available, you might use meloxicam, a prescription anti-inflammatory drug. Some use aspirin 1/2 of a low dose 81 mg tablet once or twice daily for 2-3 days. Since you started an antibiotic, it may be better to finish a 7 day course.

Bless her heart. Being chased around and picked up might have injured her. Keep her isolated for a few more days and see if she improves. Low dose aspirin twice daily may help her pain.

Welcome to BYC. Is she holding up one leg or putting weight on both legs? She may have sprained something or is very sore from being chased. Is there any swelling, redness, or green bruising over the entire leg? Visiting kids definitely need to be supervised with your chickens. I would let her be as active as she feels like, but place her in a dog crate or pen in the late afternoon to prevent her from roosting, and let her out in the morning. If a vet is available, you might use meloxicam, a prescription anti-inflammatory drug. Some use aspirin 1/2 of a low dose 81 mg tablet once or twice daily for 2-3 days. Since you started an antibiotic, it may be better to finish a 7 day course.
She is not holding up. She will put weight on it but limps and doesn't stand for long. I was in the house making thanks giving dinner and mu sister just let her chase em!
😠

Back
Top Bottom