Hurt Meaties...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by aclee, May 12, 2010.

1. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    We started with 39 meaties (I think, it's all a blur) and we lost one at about 2 weeks-ish. Since then, they were all fine though up till 8 weeks. We will be at 10 weeks this weekend. I have a mix of Cornish X and Cornish Roasters. We are planning to process this weekend, but I may hold back some of the smaller cornish roasters. In the last couple weeks, we have had to process 2 birds. The first one was because my husband either stepped on, or put the water on ones foot and it was broken. The second one got hurt running around the yard...I saw it happen...couldn't walk. Just went out again with some cracked corn and there was a minor stampede to come see me and another one got hurt, so we'll be processing that one tonight too. It's not the big ones that are getting hurt though! It's like the Cornish X are so big, they are just barreling down the smaller Cornish Roaster Cockerels (all three have been smallish cockerels) Is this typical? Should I not be letting them out to run around anymore? It seems like everyone is getting there fair share of food, and growing, but the Cornish X are like bulls in a china shop. I can even tell when one is standing on my foot!

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Both of my culls came from injuries in the brooder, similar instances to yours. Those were the only losses I've experienced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by