hurt mink!!!!

It's not at all uncommon for me to call my vet for meds and simply go pick them up.. In my experience, most vets will do that, and they don't have to be particularly laid back -- you just kinda have to know what you're asking for, and why. If it makes sense to them, they'll usually do it. Rx-only vet meds state pretty clearly that they're only to be used "by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian." So when my vet sells me an Rx-only bottle of Bo-Se for my goats, for instance, I'm using it on the order of a licensed veterinarian each time I draw some into a syringe. There's nothing illegal about it.

None of the meds I mentioned in the earlier post were "iffy" either...it's not like he'd be asking them to dispense muscle relaxers, epi, or something else that could be resold or used for illegal activities. A few ml's of dexamethasone, some antibiotic, and bag of lactated Ringer's solution probably doesn't have much "street value," ya know?
tongue.png

Not to mention...and forgive me for saying this, but...if the OP didn't have the kind of relationship with a licensed veterinarian that would facilitate being able to get medication more or less on-demand, then perhaps stopping to pick up a wounded wild critter was unwise.. Would it have died had the OP not picked it up?...probably...but there's also the possibility that someone like me would have come along who actually had a lot of helpful stuff on-hand and could perhaps have done something for it.

Don't get me wrong -- I hope the poor little critter lives.. Heck, it wouldn't bother one little bit if the thing lived, bonded to the OP, and they were best buddies forever after. I guess what it boils down to is that, through this post, I've come to know of an animal that's suffering and won't get medical care because a person who was in no capacity to care for it happened to be the one who picked it up off the pavement..

That's all.

And, believe me...I'll get over myself.
gig.gif
smile.png

Well i say that you are doing a good thing and that some people always say something negative ,So if you think you can do this then i say go with your heart.Do just becareful and best of luck to you.Sending you blessing

We came home today and found him running around the cage with both eyes opened and we let him down and the floor and he was so full of energy.
We made him some food and tried to feed him. After he ate he began picking at his mouth and then we discovered that he has a large wound on the roof of his mouth.
Clearly we shouldn't give it food, maybe leave some in the cage and see if shows interest but no more syringe for now.
I think he's doing a lot better, he is still sleeping most of the day but he does move around and find a comfy spot which is new.
His breathing is also not as deep, it seems as though he isn't having as much difficulty breathing now.
Tomorrow we are going to call around and try to talk to a few vets and see what kind of medication we can give him.
Hopefully we get some good info.

I just want to defend myself by saying that I may not have the proper knowledge or a vet that I can go to, but I did something not many people would do and I think I did the right thing. If I had just driven away who knows how long he would have been outside, which was during a hurricane, suffering. Clearly we are doing an alright job if he is showing improvement. I'm not the kind of person who would drive by a wounded animal and say "I don't know exactly how to fix him, So I'll just wait for someone else to drive by or for him to possibly die."

Thanks to everyone who is supporting us.

I saw this thread yesterday, just didn't have anything to add. But I am glad to hear it is doing better. Keep us informed and more pictures please.

Imp

Kudos on rescuing the mink. Just be aware they can be very vicious and won't hesitate to take a bite out of you. That being said, since he has a mouth wound I'd offer him soft food he can lick up. Critical care for carnivores is good. Sometimes you can get a vet to give you some. If not then baby food, Chicken is the best and maybe some canned pumpkin or sweet potato. If you have any nutri-cal for cats that would be ok to offer too. If he's eating and drinking on his own then I'd just give him time and not offer medication. I once glued a pigeon that had been hit by a car back together when his crop was ripped open and his breast bone cracked and he lived with nothing more than bird antibiotics and critical care for 72 hours.

So when my vet sells me an Rx-only bottle of Bo-Se for my goats, for instance, I'm using it on the order of a licensed veterinarian each time I draw some into a syringe. There's nothing illegal about it.

While that may not be illegal it is illegal for vets to treat wild animals or protected species unless they are specifically licensed to do so and the animals are in the hands of a licensed wildlife rehabber. So whether the vet sees or doesn't see the mink and irregardless of what type of med you are asking for it is illegal. That's why most vets won't do it and will only offer to put the animal down. That is the only legal thing they can do. They can't knowingly treat a wild animal in the hands of an unlicensed individual.​

Quote:
While that may not be illegal it is illegal for vets to treat wild animals or protected species unless they are specifically licensed to do so and the animals are in the hands of a licensed wildlife rehabber. So whether the vet sees or doesn't see the mink and irregardless of what type of med you are asking for it is illegal. That's why most vets won't do it and will only offer to put the animal down. That is the only legal thing they can do. They can't knowingly treat a wild animal in the hands of an unlicensed individual.

Agreed. Please, please get the mink to a wildlife rehab group or a licensed individual.
sad.png
I am a wildlife rehabber myself, I have been for six years, and I will tell you that the rehab group will do the best they possibly can on the mink. They will not simply put it down unless it cannot be saved. We get very invested in the animals we care for and we do everything to try and get them back to health so they can be released again. If you request it, most wildlife rehab groups will update you on the animal even.

I know you mean well, I really do, and I thank you for saving the poor mink, but I've seen enough cases where animals were cared for by well-meaning individuals who didn't have the right knowledge and supplies to deal with the animals. It usually ends in tragedy. I've seen some heartbreaking cases of animals who could have easily been saved if the person had brought them in quickly, but because they kept them and tried to deal with it on their own the animal ended up dying an awful death.

Please call around and see if you can find a wildlife rehab group or a licensed rehabber who can help you! As the mink improves its needs will change and likely go beyond what you can provide, and it may not be docile for long. Also, it needs to be seen by a vet to be sure there aren't further injuries that need intervention, and it can't legally be seen unless it's in the hands of a rehabber.

Good luck! You've done the right thing, but you really need to get this animal to someone with the proper knowledge and supplies.

i don't know what happened but i left it today to go out for alittle bit and i came back to find it pulled the roof of its mouth off. nmow you can see up in to the up of the nose cavited. i saw these yesterday when i went to feed it the there was a crack or cut on the up of its mouth. i am bring it to the wildlife nature park tomorrow because right the park is closed. but how bad is this?

Back
Top Bottom