Hurt rabbit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Larson Chicks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Larson Chicks

Larson Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    I have a 3mth old rabbit and she's not putting weight on her foot. It's limp when I grab it. Doesn't seem to be in any pain but does look swollen. [​IMG]

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't like the way that looks at all - it could be anything from a sprain to a broken bone. How long ago did this happen?

3. Larson Chicks

Larson Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    I just noticed it this morning.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would definitely recommend bringing the rabbit in to a vet for diagnosis and treatment. If it's a sprain, they can prescribe appropriate pain meds but if it's a break, they can help advise you about the next best step. A limp foot is a pretty big concern, as rabbits are pretty delicate in their front feet and any sort of wrong movement can cause injury. Unfortunately, online it's impossible to tell you for sure what's going on or the best way to treat it.

This is assuming that she is a pet rabbit. Even if she is destined to be a food animal, she will need some sort of action soon to prevent it from getting worse or keeping it painful. Rabbits in pain have a tendency to develop gut stasis, which is a whole other serious problem.

5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Looks broken, but hard to tell from a picture. I would get her to a vet a sap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by