Hurt Sigyn

TinyBoxTim

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
So if you've read my previous post you know today i got two 7 week old chicks today, once i got home i examined the one i named Sigyn (Loki's wife, seeing as i have a black sex link named Loki) and she has a dead toe, after looking closer i saw there was thread tightly bound around the dead toe and the surrounding foot since it was swollen, i removed the thread from the live flesh and cleaned the area with hydrogen peroxide and put plain neosporin on it, i left the thread around the dead toe because it appears to be falling off soon. i did have to extract some that had been encased and grown around, so basically i just want to know opinions on treatment and how to care for a chick in this circumstance. also, she is getting electrolyte water and has already started to put just a little weight back on it, which she previously had not done.

It's unfortunate this happened, but good that you noticed the thread. Hopefully the foot isn't permanently damaged from a lack of circulation. Epsom salt warm soaks daily to the affected foot may help. Keep up with the Neosporin or iodine would work as well. Good luck with her recovery.

She seems to be doing slightly better by this morning, I'm thinking about boiling some yolks and mixing in water and honey and offering it to them because they both look a little malnourished, Sigyn is the one farther back with the spotty tail feathers and her leg pulled up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom