Hurt very badly by dog attack please help!!!

Pics
Thank you so much for all your help!
Take care of your girl the best you can and get her warm. Hopefully Kathy can help you more from here. I'll be back in the morning.

You have your list for the store. Get that asap. Best part is that you can use it for any injury. Including yourself or the dog. It won't be a wasteful buy.

Can you get a photo of the front of the blue lotion bottle? It's probably fine to use but it will just make it a little harder to see the wounds clearly.

I agree, if possible, pick up some Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone-Iodine (Betadine) at the Dollar General (both my stores are greatly lacking in supplies since last year). Store brand triple antibiotic ointment would be good too if that's within your budget.

IF NOT doable or you can't get supplies, then rinse the wound really well with the soapy water, trim back the feathers away from the wound. Dab dry the wound, then apply your Blue Lotion. Dry the hen before you leave her since she can't be inside. You can use a hair dryer to help get the feathers dry.

Another thing - While you are at the DG, see if they have any large boxes (I find them outside in their recycle bin - paper towel or toilet paper boxes are good). You can put a couple of those together to make a box for her, this will help hold in some of her body heat since she's going to be outside. Put some type of padding in the bottom of the boxes - pine shavings/straw/some old towels, etc. For the night, if it's getting cold, put a sheet or covering over the box, but leave some open for ventilation.

The smell is very concerning. I understand your limited budget. Check with your TSC to see if they carry Fish Mox (Amoxicillin), if they don't have that, then they should have Procaine Penicillin G in the refrigerated section. If getting Penicillin, then you will need the smallest syringe they carry and a 20gauge needle.
You may find that by flushing and cleaning out the wound very well takes care of the rotten smell, but if you think you are seeing bone or the spine, then she may have infection.

Please do take note, that if you feel she has infection, is suffering and in pain, then putting her out of her misery may also be the best thing to do. You are there and can best access the situation - whether to proceed with care or not.

Keep us posted.

Can you get a photo of the front of the blue lotion bottle? It's probably fine to use but it will just make it a little harder to see the wounds clearly.

I agree, if possible, pick up some Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone-Iodine (Betadine) at the Dollar General (both my stores are greatly lacking in supplies since last year). Store brand triple antibiotic ointment would be good too if that's within your budget.

IF NOT doable or you can't get supplies, then rinse the wound really well with the soapy water, trim back the feathers away from the wound. Dab dry the wound, then apply your Blue Lotion. Dry the hen before you leave her since she can't be inside. You can use a hair dryer to help get the feathers dry.

Another thing - While you are at the DG, see if they have any large boxes (I find them outside in their recycle bin - paper towel or toilet paper boxes are good). You can put a couple of those together to make a box for her, this will help hold in some of her body heat since she's going to be outside. Put some type of padding in the bottom of the boxes - pine shavings/straw/some old towels, etc. For the night, if it's getting cold, put a sheet or covering over the box, but leave some open for ventilation.

The smell is very concerning. I understand your limited budget. Check with your TSC to see if they carry Fish Mox (Amoxicillin), if they don't have that, then they should have Procaine Penicillin G in the refrigerated section. If getting Penicillin, then you will need the smallest syringe they carry and a 20gauge needle.
You may find that by flushing and cleaning out the wound very well takes care of the rotten smell, but if you think you are seeing bone or the spine, then she may have infection.

Please do take note, that if you feel she has infection, is suffering and in pain, then putting her out of her misery may also be the best thing to do. You are there and can best access the situation - whether to proceed with care or not.
Keep us posted.
Thank you so much for all the useful information. I went out and set a heater up inside the building so it could get warm for her. She had bedded down but was still very alert. I honestly wouldn’t know for sure if she has infection or not. I’m going to do the best that I can with her tomorrow and hope she recovers. I’m not sure if she’s able to be saved or if she is suffering. It has me so torn I’m not sure what to do just yet.

Keep us posted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom