Husband said it was poop

lrayle

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 19, 2013
NC

I went out to give my gals and Mr. Roo their snack and than collect the eggs and when I looked in the coop their was this marshmallow feeling something laying on the wire under where they roost. Husband said it was poop but its an egg without a shell! Is this normal

Are your chickens just beginning to lay? I have 15 chickens and some just started laying a month ago and I find these all the the time in their poop box or on the ground, as each chicken matures and starts laying. These shelless eggs seem to be the first eggs to pass from the chicken. Once they start to get into a lay cycle, they will have a shell. Though I don't doubt that I will find some of these once in a while. I have oyster shell for my chickens too. I'm up to 11 eggs per day out of the 15, so I suspect I will find more of these as the remainder of my chickens reaches laying maturity.

All my girls have been laying for a while The two youngest have been laying for at least two months and I've never seen this that's what's weird

its somewhat common in pullets, more common if one lays 2 eggs in one day. rhode island reds, new hampshire red, production red, gold comet, and some strains of EE's appear to be the main breeds that do it, any breed can have it happen.

usually calcium cures it, from time to time you might still find one. the chance will decrease with plenty of grass access.

there are diseases that can cause it, most of the time exposure is low unless you add sick birds to your flock - if you have properly quarantined your new chickens, the chances are slim but possible.

here is Sumi's list on what causes it:

"10. Shell less eggs. A shell less consists of a yolk, albumen and membrane, but has no shell at all. The egg contents are protected by the outer membrane only. These are often seen in pullets coming into lay. Causes are:

- Immature shell gland (young layer);

- Nutritional deficiency, usually lack of calcium and vitamins E, B12 and D as well as phosphorous and selenium;

- Certain diseases, such as Newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, egg drop syndrome;

- Exposure to very high temperatures and extremely high or low humidity levels;

- An infestation of internal or external parasites, such as worms, mites or lice;

- Stress prompting the hen to lay an egg prematurely, before the shell is formed;

- Egg laying while molting;

- Exposure to toxins, such as mold, fungi, bacteria. "

*edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom