Husband spray painted chicken waterer and feed box ... is it safe? :o/

TJ

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 7, 2007
Missouri
Hello, we have been renovating our chicken house for our new baby chicks that have arrived recently. My husband has decided that the galvanized chicken waterer and feeder need an upgrade and spray painted them barn red to match the chicken house, my question is, is it safe for the chickens to drink and eat out of them with them being spray painted? He didn't paint the part on the waterer where the water expels and sits where the chickens drink from or the interior, but on the feeder he painted the part where the feed comes out and sits. Silly question I know, I'm not a gambler and I just want to be certain.
Thank you so much!
tj

I had my chicks in a homemade brooder and kept hearing HARD pecking and discovered they could peck the paint off the box they were in!! I built another brooder out of wire to stop that! I had a plastic real estate sign for a door and they pecked the decals off it!! Had to remove that too!!

We sometimes painted ours like that as well, I think it should be fine if it's not in the water part. I'd love to see your set up!
Hello, thank you, so you didn’t have any issues with the painted metal and your chickens? I guess I’m worrying more than I should. 😬
I will post photos as soon as it’s completed. Who knew a middle aged woman could get so excited over a renovated chicken house! 😅

I had my chicks in a homemade brooder and kept hearing HARD pecking and discovered they could peck the paint off the box they were in!! I built another brooder out of wire to stop that! I had a plastic real estate sign for a door and they pecked the decals off it!! Had to remove that too!!
Hello, that is my fear is that the paint will chip off into the feed or the water. I’m sure it’s just me being overly cautious, I just didn’t know if others here have done this and had their chickens get ill or anything.
I’ll try them out and see how it goes. If I start seeing chips of paint, I’ll have to remove them. 😬

Hello, that is my fear is that the paint will chip off into the feed or the water. I’m sure it’s just me being overly cautious, I just didn’t know if others here have done this and had their chickens get ill or anything.

A few flecks of paint (I have to assume this isn't old lead based paint!) won't hurt them. Mine started to eat the paint off my coop. :rolleyes: Didn't do anything to them but sure is annoying to me.

Back
Top Bottom