HUSKIES killed my chickens

I'm sorry for your loss. You can talk to your neighbor; it would be polite for them to replace your chickens. Dogs are gonna dog... if you think they are being neglected and ignored, then I would get involved. Huskies are hard to train, that means they require more supervision from their owners. If they are running wild regularly, then they might need a new home.

You need a better fence though. If it can't keep dogs out, it won't keep any other predator out either. It was probably just a matter of time. If you are going to replace your flock, secure your area first. Use common sense. How hard did the dogs have to work to get into your chicken area? If you do have a fence and they had to dig under it, then you need an apron to keep all animals from digging. If they jumped over it, you'll need to make it taller.

Welcome, and I'm so sorry for your losses.
Some people are just jerks, and it's a rotten shame that you and your chickens had to suffer because of them.
Electric fencing, set up properly, with a very hot charger, and baited to get them to taste it, should be a big help for you. @Howard E and @cmom , and Premier1supplies.com, all have good advice, and Premier has good products too.
Chickens need a safe coop and run, as predator proof as possible, for times when the birds can't free range. We've all had nasty predator experiences over the years, and it's never 'nice'.
Responsible and civilized animal owners work to keep their critters at home, and fix any problems that come up if one of their animals escapes and causes harm.
Mary

I would give the owners a bill for the lost chickens and give them an opportunity to make it right. If they didn't I would take them to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer for that,

Just a comment. Huskies and Malamutes have a VERY high prey drive. You need an enclosure that the dogs cannot get into. If I were you I would look into some electrified poultry fencing.

I would give the owners a bill for the lost chickens and give them an opportunity to make it right. If they didn't I would take them to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer for that,

That’s actually a good idea! And I didn’t know you don’t need a lawyer for small claims. Good to know 😊

Just a comment. Huskies and Malamutes have a VERY high prey drive. You need an enclosure that the dogs cannot get into. If I were you I would look into some electrified poultry fencing.
X2. Same as any other situation where dogs kill other animals. Although around here you could report them for having dogs that were at large, they would be fined a pretty hefty fine. It’s taken seriously here because we have a LOT of livestock around and lose enough to regular predation without adding in other people’s badly behaved, on the loose mutts. My girl is a husky x, she has a high prey drive as well but she also has manners and listens to commands such as “stay” and “no” so...

As they say, the best Defense is a good offense. Work on predator-proofing since you can’t control what other people do or do not do.

Two huskies (owner loosed them) ran into my backyard and killed all of my laying chickens(I have eight chickens). After that, one of huskies tried to jump on my female friend(bloody mouth). She kept dreaming the bodies of those dead chickens and felt super unsafe. She just went to a therapist
I called the police and the police gave the owner a ticket. What can I do with that? I am in Utah.
That’s horrible! I hate when people don’t control and train their dogs! I have dogs and I always train them to listen to me and not bother other animals. Mine are always fine with my chickens. That is really too bad, I feel really sorry for you. You probably could take them to small claims court and maybe present the judge with the cost of what you have spent for your chickens and possibly the amount that you have spent on their feed to get them to the age they were at point of lay, but unfortunately animals are considered possessions and sometimes they only give you what you paid for them.

That depends on the local laws. If there is no livestock laws and no leash laws they might be just faced with paying court costs. If they have one, the other, or both it should be a slam dunk.

Back
Top Bottom