Husky and chickens?

ButteCA

Songster
Apr 12, 2018
Has anyone successfully raised chickens along side a husky? I'm caring for a two year old husky right now and thinking about keeping him BUT I'm not sure if I can trust him around my chickens. He has chased my cats but not my chickens strange enough. He also has no obedience training and has been neglected for a few months. Not abused just tied up,left alone and fed enough to keep him alive. He is not aggressive and gets along with my dogs and really likes my teenage daughter.

Has anyone successfully raised chickens along side a husky? I'm caring for a two year old husky right now and thinking about keeping him BUT I'm not sure if I can trust him around my chickens. He has chased my cats but not my chickens strange enough. He also has no obedience training and has been neglected for a few months. Not abused just tied up,left alone and fed enough to keep him alive. He is not aggressive and gets along with my dogs and really likes my teenage daughter.
Huskies and Malamutes are wonderful dogs, but I wouldn't trust either one of them around any class of livestock.

Generally Huskies have a naturally high prey drive plus are rather stubborn/independent as well. There's always exceptions but since your dog doesn't have any obedience training either, I absolutely would not take the chance.

If you're willing to work on training the dog and can make it a rule to either keep him leashed at all times while outside, or have the chickens in a run while he's outside, there's no reason not to keep him if you otherwise like him.

I free range my Chickens and my Husky got loose and immediately killed 2 and injured 2 others before i could retrieve her, huskies have a high prey drive but that is just my experience.

Generally Huskies have a naturally high prey drive plus are rather stubborn/independent as well. There's always exceptions but since your dog doesn't have any obedience training either, I absolutely would not take the chance.

I agree, very high prey drive and stubborn. My friend raised a cat and husky together for a few years, she thought the cat would be okay as they were "friends". One day she came home and cat was mauled to death......Dogs are going to do what they do. There are exceptions to this rule but I would not take a chance.

I free range my Chickens and my Husky got loose and immediately killed 2 and injured 2 others before i could retrieve her, huskies have a high prey drive but that is just my experience.
You are right. I will tell you something I have observed about Huskies and Malamutes. When a dog such as a German Shepherd is caught in the act of killing livestock it knows what it is doing is wrong and scrams. A Malamute or Husky caught in the same situation will often come bouncing up to you and invite you to join in on the fun.

Would not take the chance at all. My flock was victim to a Husky and just as Cassie says, instead of taking off back to his home when I discovered what was going on, came running back to do more damage!

Back
Top Bottom