Hybrid Pheasants

Pics
@ Lophura would you mind telling me where theses charts are found? I'd be truly interested in seeing them. I do agree most people want information fed to them. Not only that but as technology increases they will want it fed to them more frequently and faster. I haven't had pheasants for years now so I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to them but we are on the same team here. Since I don't have pheasants anymore I have been focusing these last few years on researching histories of specific chicken breeds and like you said the information is usually out there, but you have to put in real effort to find it and piece it together. I wasn't saying that the hybridization needs to continue for educational purposes, rather I was saying that since some people do whatever they wish then we could try to use what they do to help the pure species....as you said "here's what not to do".

I can only offer my personal experience: I DO NOT consider myself an expert!
Hybrid Pheasants are the result of breeding two pheasants from DIFFERENT family groups and are usually sterile. For example breeding a Ringneck (true pheasant family) and a Reeves pheasant (long tailed pheasant family) will produce offspring which I have found to be infertile.

I put "usually sterile"- because the hybrids I have purchased or know that friends own have not produced any offspring. This goes for putting them with another hybrid or trying to breed back to a purebred.
But there is the possibilty of crossing many more species then what I have seen produced, so that would make the possibilty of some MAYBE being fertile, until it is proven either way, I will consider them infertile. Anyone ever seen an Impeyan hybrid, a Mikado hybrid, a Fireback hybrid?

I do realize that many people do not know what they have, but it is THEIR job to learn more about the species they raise. I can tell the difference between a golden & ringneck hybrid from goldens and ringnecks. Any good breeder should also be able to tell them apart.

Crossed Pheasants are the result of breeding two pheasants from the SAME family group and are capable of reproducing. For example the most common crossed pheasants are Golden & Lady Amherst, both are in the RUFFED PHEASANT family. When breed together the offspring are fertile to reproduce.

I also beleive that when you cross any 2 species in the same family, the offspring will be fertile. But I have not tried to prove or disprove this because I have not been breeding for cross birds. But I do know that goldens x amherst produce fertile offspring, Temminck Tragopans x Satyr Tragopans produce fertile offspring, Malayan Firebacks x Bornean Firebacks produce fertile offspring.

So obviously,you have no problem killing off the pure bloodlines so you can produce mutts?Leaving the gene pool empty.Killing off what we have been protecting for years so everyone can enjoy them in their true pure form.
I personally would wish you would raise chickens and not pheasants as I have been raising pure birds for 28 years.Not ruining what I and many other have been working on for years.
In N.H.,Tony.

I have been raising birds for 30 years, I have also successfully raised most types of pheasants available in the USA. There was crossed birds around then and the purebred birds are still available 30 years later. Less kids beinging interested in raising them today, is going to kill them off faster than tainted bloodlines.​
I'm 17 and an ffa member i love crossed /hybrid birds because i raise and sell em to taxidermists. I also raise pure bloodline but usually i raise sterile and only sterile. I f i can buy a fertile cross i will so that it does produce more that mix with bloodlines.

thumbsup.gif
for you De Wet. Couldn't agree more.

I'm 17 and an ffa member i love crossed /hybrid birds because i raise and sell em to taxidermists. I also raise pure bloodline but usually i raise sterile and only sterile. I f i can buy a fertile cross i will so that it does produce more that mix with bloodlines.

I think a fertile cross is cool.

My mother bred purebreed cats and I understand people like to keep breeds alive, but I also understand a crossbreed or two won't ruin an entire genetic bloodline. Just because one of the Burmese toms we sold mated with a domestic doesn't means his relatives and non-relatives havechanged.

I can also understand (and prefer) crosses for beauty and genetic strength. Too purey bred and you get health problems, as seen in many mammals and other birds. New breeds of both have created both beautiful creatures (look at mixed peacocks) and new breeds (recent dogs and birds have come from mutants and mixes).

Both make great animals and can be enjoyed for the same reasons (beauty, behavior, attributes, meat, eggs). One breeder can't ruin an entire species without it already being a Lonely George already.

I think a fertile cross is cool.

My mother bred purebreed cats and I understand people like to keep breeds alive, but I also understand a crossbreed or two won't ruin an entire genetic bloodline. Just because one of the Burmese toms we sold mated with a domestic doesn't means his relatives and non-relatives havechanged.

I can also understand (and prefer) crosses for beauty and genetic strength. Too purey bred and you get health problems, as seen in many mammals and other birds. New breeds of both have created both beautiful creatures (look at mixed peacocks) and new breeds (recent dogs and birds have come from mutants and mixes).

Both make great animals and can be enjoyed for the same reasons (beauty, behavior, attributes, meat, eggs). One breeder can't ruin an entire species without it already being a Lonely George already.

I think you are massively confusing domestic breeds vs. wild species. That's the problem associating them with poultry, you get responses like this. You never see this confusion with other facets of aviculture or science. I can't figure out why it's such a hard concept to grasp on this forum. I tested my son one day by asking "what breed of hawk is that?", he jumped my case saying "THERE ARE NO BREEDS OF HAWKS!!! THE SPECIES IS A RED-TAILED,DAD!!!" - he was right. Using the Red-tailed as an example as there are multiple color moprhs all over the US, and NONE are considered breeds. No difference between the Red-tailed Hawk and Reeves' Pheasant - except this is a "chicken forum" and that confuses too many.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom