12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
South Dakota & Wisconsin
Reeves / Ringneck hybrids

1hy9.jpg

1hy8.jpg

taxrh1.jpg

taxrh2.jpg

I've never had pheasants before which is why I asked. People with an attitude like yours discourage someone like me from wanting them. Most people want a bird for COLOR, but there are people out there who breed birds to preserve the standard.

And actually, yes the first pheasants I saw were crossbreeds and they were hideously ugly. Which is why I looked into different pheasants in the first place.

Tell me what do you know about Lemurs? I work with them and know all to well about breeding to preserve, but we still are forced to crossbreed sometimes for one reason or another.

You need an attitude adjustment. And I refuse to argue with you further and risk this person's thread being closed.

Quote:
Sorry I don't like using PM...... I prefer email.

Porcupines can control there quills very well, raising & spreading them when they feel threatened. African Crested porcupines are one of my favorite animals to bottle raise. When they are bottle raised they can be very friendly and alot of fun; then you can pet them and scratch them as you would a dog or cat- JUST one way though.

The one in this photo has her quills up because I just gave her a carrot and she wants to make sure I'm not going to take it away.
Randywap2.jpg

Quote:
I can only offer my personal experience: I DO NOT consider myself an expert!
Hybrid Pheasants are the result of breeding two pheasants from DIFFERENT family groups and are usually sterile. For example breeding a Ringneck (true pheasant family) and a Reeves pheasant (long tailed pheasant family) will produce offspring which I have found to be infertile.

I put "usually sterile"- because the hybrids I have purchased or know that friends own have not produced any offspring. This goes for putting them with another hybrid or trying to breed back to a purebred.
But there is the possibilty of crossing many more species then what I have seen produced, so that would make the possibilty of some MAYBE being fertile, until it is proven either way, I will consider them infertile. Anyone ever seen an Impeyan hybrid, a Mikado hybrid, a Fireback hybrid?

I do realize that many people do not know what they have, but it is THEIR job to learn more about the species they raise. I can tell the difference between a golden & ringneck hybrid from goldens and ringnecks. Any good breeder should also be able to tell them apart.

Crossed Pheasants are the result of breeding two pheasants from the SAME family group and are capable of reproducing. For example the most common crossed pheasants are Golden & Lady Amherst, both are in the RUFFED PHEASANT family. When breed together the offspring are fertile to reproduce.

I also beleive that when you cross any 2 species in the same family, the offspring will be fertile. But I have not tried to prove or disprove this because I have not been breeding for cross birds. But I do know that goldens x amherst produce fertile offspring, Temminck Tragopans x Satyr Tragopans produce fertile offspring, Malayan Firebacks x Bornean Firebacks produce fertile offspring.

So obviously,you have no problem killing off the pure bloodlines so you can produce mutts?Leaving the gene pool empty.Killing off what we have been protecting for years so everyone can enjoy them in their true pure form.
I personally would wish you would raise chickens and not pheasants as I have been raising pure birds for 28 years.Not ruining what I and many other have been working on for years.
In N.H.,Tony.

I have been raising birds for 30 years, I have also successfully raised most types of pheasants available in the USA. There was crossed birds around then and the purebred birds are still available 30 years later. Less kids beinging interested in raising them today, is going to kill them off faster than tainted bloodlines.​

Quote:
Yes they are real.

No I did not make them. I have bought alot of different hybrids over the years as I find them very interesting.

Hybrid Pheasants are the result of breeding two pheasants from DIFFERENT family groups and are usually sterile. For example breeding a Ringneck (true pheasant family) and a Reeves pheasant (long tailed pheasant family) will produce offspring which I have found to be infertile.

Crossed Pheasants are the result of breeding two pheasants from the SAME family group and are capable of reproducing. For example the most common crossed pheasants are Golden & Lady Amherst, both are in the RUFFED PHEASANT family. When breed together the offspring are fertile to reproduce.

I do not like breeding pheasants to produce crosses, but I DO NOT have a problem with hybrids.

I have thousands of pictures of birds & animals, just takes time to find them, crop, resize, upload, post.... so only as I get time.

Randy

Quail's hollar Farm :

I do have to say, I personally don't like hybrids, but if they are managed properly and are not bred with other birds I don't see the harm. I would just hate to see a hybrid mixed with purebloods and then are sold to the general public. It's like golden and lady amhersts pheasant situation, people didn't mean any harm to hybridize them, heck! the hybrid is geourgeous! But they accidentally caused problems for people who want pure goldens now.
I see what Tony K T is trying to say, and I understand his aggrivation. I do discourage hybrids at all cost, but then again who am I to say what people can do with their birds.

A hybrid- is sterile- therefore a HYBRID does not contaminate any bloodline or purity!

A Cross on the other hand- does produce a fertile offspring.

If I am looking for pure birds- I buy from a breeder that has the birds with good bloodlines. I also understand that many people can have a hard time telling the difference from a red golden hen and a ringneck hen- so picking out an amherst from a red golden hen is much worst for some people.
because eventually if everyone is trying to get the hybrids just for fun then there will be no one breeding pures except for certain people.

Those are some big assumptions....... and in my opinion (since we are stating OPINIONS) not true.

As I stated before I did not produce the hybrids I own or have owned. With that said- I do not see many people trying to produce hybrids.

I usually have some extra males around of different pheasant species- I don't think common Ringneck pheasants are at risk of becoming extinct, MacFarlanes has over 1.5 Million of them alone. So I don't think taking a spare male and putting it with a ringneck hen is going to devastate any populations. In fact- I think by that male being with a ringneck hen will keep him active and better mannered for when I need him to breed with a hen of his own species.​

Back
Top Bottom