"Hybrid" pullets?

efrey18

Hatching
Aug 8, 2016
Hi! I'm new to this site and new to owning chickens! I've done a load of research, but I can't help but wonder if my hens are really hybrids? I think some look like Rhode Island reds, jersey Giants, and the others look like German langshans. Can anyone let me know what they think? If these photos aren't helpful I can get more when I get home from work. Unfortunately they weren't very cooperative this morning :p

What interesting eyes the first one has!!! She looks like a character indeed! My daughter has a BSL that is really special, smart, and super friendly. She lets their toddler carry her around and is fazed by nothing.

Thanks for the input! Do any of you know how they are in cold weather? I live in the north east and we have a heat lamp just in case it gets to the single digits. Also, egg size? They are new layers, and some are producing very small eggs, but wasn't sure if that was just because they are new to laying.

efrey, small eggs are completely normal at first. This breed is known as an excellent egg producer. And chickens can handle cold weather. Single digits are not a problem. They have down underwear!

welcome-byc.gif

I agree you have black sex link pullets.

they're traditionally a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a barred Plymouth Rock hen. Both of those breeds originated in the harsh New England states and are quite cold hardy. No heat lamp needed, as long as they have protection from the wind and wet they'll be fine. It would be a good idea to do some research on ventillation, as new chicken owners tend to want to fully enclose their birds to keep them warm. This is counter productive as chickens generate a lot of heat on their own, and a LOT of moisture from respiration and poop that needs to be able to vent out. Cold and dry is fine, cold and moist is a recipe for sick birds.

Their egg size will pick up. New layers take a month or so to hit their strides, but after that these ladies are bred to be little laying machines. I think you'll be very happy with them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom