Hybrids...................................

What about a hybrid chicken that was a hybrid of two different species of chicken, say a red jungle fowl and a grey jungle fowl would that be considered a hybrid ?

guess that would depend on if it were a hybrid between two species or a hybrid between two breeds or varieties, the latter two would be fully fertile and viable ... and some specific(as referring to multiple species)hybrid fish do reproduce well . Hybrids between various species of Mollies, Swordtails, Platies and Guppies exist and reproduce well in the average aquarium(these are muti-generic as well as multi-specific hybrids), Parrot cichlids( A tilapia "red devil" X Convict cichlid) reproduce, Brown discus and red discus and green discus hybrids, scalare and altum angelfish hybrids all reproduce, I'm sure there are many other examples. Are you speaking of triploid browns?
Just adding what I read, it don't matter to me what a true hybrid is. I could really give two farts what they are.
smack.gif

I,'m a newby here so hopefully I am in theright place.
I have hatched some Chicks which are are a cross between an Ida Brown (hen) andan Australorp (rooster).

would these be considered a hybrid?
Does anyone know how good a layer they will be?
Does anyone know of any problems with this type.

The rooster is black,hen brown. I have black,brown,white, white/black and brown/white chicks.

Cheers

While we're on the subject, would anyone like to take a shot at what the offspring of a RSL roo and white LF Cochin hen would look like? I don't know enough about what characteristics are dominant in chickens to even have the beginnings of an idea.

Here is a pic of one of my hybrids for you…A Silkie crossed with a Frizzled Cochin. They are also known as Sizzles but I like to refer to them as designer chickens, lol! Like say designer dogs….like a pick-a-poo or say a lab-a-doodle!!!

Take it easy guys...this is suppose to be fun!
Chris

I,'m a newby here so hopefully I am in theright place.
I have hatched some Chicks which are are a cross between an Ida Brown (hen) andan Australorp (rooster).
would these be considered a hybrid?
Does anyone know how good a layer they will be?
Does anyone know of any problems with this type.
The rooster is black,hen brown. I have black,brown,white, white/black and brown/white chicks.
Cheers

is this supposed to be isa brown? anyway you should have great layer. what type of problems are you talking about as far as i know there should be no problems.

Sorry about that, yes I meant Isa Brown. Finger problems strike again.

I don't have any particular problems, although their combs seem to be very small which I was not expecting. I also would have xpected themto be laying by now as they are 20 weeks old..

The other cooks which are Isa Browns pick on them terribly so maybe that has something to do with it.

My post was justa general enquiry to see if anyone had had experience with this cross breed.

Cheers

Here is a pic of one of my hybrids for you…A Silkie crossed with a Frizzled Cochin. They are also known as Sizzles but I like to refer to them as designer chickens, lol! Like say designer dogs….like a pick-a-poo or say a lab-a-doodle!!!

Take it easy guys...this is suppose to be fun!
Chris

are you sure those aren't labradoodles?

Your dog is absolutely stunning!

goodpost.gif

The definition out of a dictionary is going to vary from a scientific term. However, just like albinism there are different kinds of hybrids. Wolf Dogs for instance are often call Wolf Hybrids. However, this term is no longer used by Breeders or Scientists due to the fact both are still Canis Lupus. Though I don't see why this section seems to be so cut throat about being "right" about terminology
idunno.gif
I agree, I've noticed a lot of cut throat responses in many posts on BYC, I have to say it's a real turn off. People get so caught up in rhetoric, language, vocabulary, being "correct" and other generally nit-picky BS that they entirely lose sight of what the post was originally about, effectively hijacking said post and turning it into a squabble fest. This kind of behavior does nothing to further the discussions we try to carry on with here on BYC. It is divisive, immature behavior that is meant to say "I know more than you, nah nah" IDK, just an observation Please keep in mind that I am not attacking anyone in particular, just ranting a bit, that's all.

This was interesting...

+ (A blue marans crossed with black copper marans roo)

= white chick

Back
Top Bottom