hydrocephalic chick?

Lynnk

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
Has anyone ever had a chick hatch that was hydrocephalic? Other animals I have seen with the enlarged skull usually due to an overproduction of cerebrospinal fluid, but I have a chick that managed to hatch on its own in my hovabator, but its head just looks too big and elongated at the back of the skull. I also had 2 with splayed legs in this hatch. I'm starting to wonder about my gene pool here...
I'd like to know if anyone else has had a chick like this. It tried to stand at first, but had trouble holding its head up. Now, it really doesn't look like it will make it, and in a larger animal or human a shunt to drain off the fluid is the only way to avoid brain damage, so I doubt it will live very long. Poor baby.
Lynnk

Probably little you can do for the hydrocephalic little guy, but strap the legs of the ones with splayed legs and they will probably be fine,

Good Luck,
Sandie

Has anyone ever had a chick hatch that was hydrocephalic? Other animals I have seen with the enlarged skull usually due to an overproduction of cerebrospinal fluid, but I have a chick that managed to hatch on its own in my hovabator, but its head just looks too big and elongated at the back of the skull. I also had 2 with splayed legs in this hatch. I'm starting to wonder about my gene pool here...
I'd like to know if anyone else has had a chick like this. It tried to stand at first, but had trouble holding its head up. Now, it really doesn't look like it will make it, and in a larger animal or human a shunt to drain off the fluid is the only way to avoid brain damage, so I doubt it will live very long. Poor baby.
Lynnk

Back
Top Bottom