1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hygrometer Calibrating help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GothChick, Oct 6, 2010.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hi, I tried calibrating my hygrometer with the salt method. This morning when I checked in it, it is reading at 69% so is it really 6% off or did I mess up the test? I put 1/2 cup salt, with 1/4 cup water in a small coffee cup and then put them in a ziplock bag overnight. Any advice? I have eggs arriving in the mail today and need everything set up for them. Thanks!

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Throw the thing away!!!

Go to a hardware store and buy a CHEAP digital indoor outdoor thermometer that also tells the humidity. You can get one for less than $15. No calibrating/ no guessing and it is easy to read. I ditched the hygrometer about 10 years ago.

I'm not always into the easy way out, but trust me, you'll think me in the long run.

3. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a digital indoor/outdoor one but it still is reading off. I even checked the temperature reading and it was a bit off. It is reading 69% in the bag with the salt water mixture.

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    My cheap one works, that's all I can tell you. Hatch rate runs around 90-95%. I try to hatch 300-500 chicks per season.

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    go to the pet store and get one in the reptile department for 6 bucks!!!

6. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

STUPID STUPID STUPID humidity!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i prefer my hydrometer from the reptile supply with the needle on it. The digital one from walmart was smoking crack!!! I am on the verge of just taking the thing out of the bator all together just to keep my sanity! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by