Hygrometer Calibrating help

GothChick

Songster
13 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi, I tried calibrating my hygrometer with the salt method. This morning when I checked in it, it is reading at 69% so is it really 6% off or did I mess up the test? I put 1/2 cup salt, with 1/4 cup water in a small coffee cup and then put them in a ziplock bag overnight. Any advice? I have eggs arriving in the mail today and need everything set up for them. Thanks!

Throw the thing away!!!

Go to a hardware store and buy a CHEAP digital indoor outdoor thermometer that also tells the humidity. You can get one for less than $15. No calibrating/ no guessing and it is easy to read. I ditched the hygrometer about 10 years ago.

I'm not always into the easy way out, but trust me, you'll think me in the long run.

I have a digital indoor/outdoor one but it still is reading off. I even checked the temperature reading and it was a bit off. It is reading 69% in the bag with the salt water mixture.

My cheap one works, that's all I can tell you. Hatch rate runs around 90-95%. I try to hatch 300-500 chicks per season.

STUPID STUPID STUPID humidity!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i prefer my hydrometer from the reptile supply with the needle on it. The digital one from walmart was smoking crack!!! I am on the verge of just taking the thing out of the bator all together just to keep my sanity! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom