Hygrometer Calibration Instructions

chickie_mama

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Lula, GA
I need to calibrate mine to check for accuracy. Found these instructions. Thought they would be helpful to someone else.

Good Luck everyone!
fl.gif

To calibrate a hygrometer you will need:
1/2 cup table salt
approximately 1/4 cup water
coffee cup
hygrometer
large re-sealable freezer bag

1. Place 1/2 cup of salt in the coffee cup, and add the water. Stir for a bit to totally saturate the salt (the salt won't dissolve, it will be more like really wet sand).

2. Place the salt/water mix in a re-sealable plastic bag, along with the hygrometer, and seal the bag. Note: make sure none of the salt/water mix comes in direct contact with the hygrometer.

3. Let this bag aside at room temperature for 8-12 hours, in a location where the temperature is fairly constant.

4. After 8-12 hours, check the reading of the hygrometer. It is best to read it while still in the bag.

The relative humidity in the sealed bag with the salt/water mix should be 75 percent (mine read about 72 percent).

5. For adjustable hygrometers, adjust to read 75 percent. You will have to do this very quickly, or remember how much you need to adjust the setting

I need to calibrate mine to check for accuracy. Found these instructions. Thought they would be helpful to someone else.

Good Luck everyone!
fl.gif

1/2 cup table salt
coffee cup
hygrometer

1. Place 1/2 cup of salt in the coffee cup, and add the water. Stir for a bit to totally saturate the salt (the salt won't dissolve, it will be more like really wet sand).

2. Place the salt/water mix in a re-sealable plastic bag, along with the hygrometer, and seal the bag. Note: make sure none of the salt/water mix comes in direct contact with the hygrometer.

3. Let this bag aside at room temperature for 8-12 hours, in a location where the temperature is fairly constant.

4. After 8-12 hours, check the reading of the hygrometer. It is best to read it while still in the bag.

The relative humidity in the sealed bag with the salt/water mix should be 75 percent (mine read about 72 percent).

5. For adjustable hygrometers, adjust to read 75 percent. You will have to do this very quickly, or remember how much you need to adjust the setting
Thank You VERY much for posting these instructions. I'd never hear of salt calibration until today and after my current hatch is completed, I will check to see what my hygrometers read using that test.

Good Luck everyone!
fl.gif

1/2 cup table salt
coffee cup
hygrometer

Did you use luke warm water or cold water to do this test?

Back
Top Bottom