hygrometer does not work. how to gauge humidity

Thanks for the link. Here is baby 1.

Baby 1 is in brooder alone. The temp is fine. He drank some water. I put some feed down but all he wants to do is cry. He hasnt slept since 1030pm. It is nearly 4.5 hrs later. Worried he will cry himself to death from stress. No pasty butt.

Went with the mirror. He has bonded strongly to his twin and they are "both" sound asleep. Was going to put his sibling in with him today when he dried out a bit more but I went in there and have 3 more wet babies. 3 more are pushing through their shells as I speak and 2 more just pipped. Looks like baby 1 will be on his own for a while. I tried hand feeding him but he wont go for it. He is much larger than the others. I had a buff male that was the same way. Much larger than anyone else in the flock.

I move mine out of the incubator as soon as they are up and moving around and let them dry out under the lamp. They stay indoors on paper towels over newspaper with a heat lamp for a day or two and then the move to my outdoor brooder with a heating pad and straw bedding. I do give them grit at that time since I know they will peck at the chaff. Around day five I open the door to the brooder and they are free to go outside into their brooder run which allows everyone to start seeing each other. Around 10-14 days they start mingling with the rest of the flock and at 3 weeks anyone who hasn't been sold yet starts sleeping in the coop with everyone else at night.

Well I had 13 eggs that started in horrible conditions. I believed, after candling on day 16, only 3-4 of 13 to be viable. I currently have 9 babies now. Still going to hold out for last 3 as 1 egg definitely wasnt even fertilized. The first 1 to pip 2 nights ago never zipped. There was no movement either. Realistically 2 may be possible but still...going to end of 28 days. Now to keep the ones I got from getting poop shoe or pasty butt.

Should the baby that pipped 4 days ago but never completely zipped be buried yet. I have 3 more eggs in incubator, 2 are fertilized and 1 isnt, and I believe that since the egg is punctured it may spread bacteria to the good eggs. I tried to candle it. I just see a form. The shells are too thick to see much else. He looks like the other 9 eggs before they hatched but I believe it died 4 nights ago. Meanwhile last nights hatch has a protruding eyeball and swollen lid. He is being treated with a saline eye wash. But this leads me to believe the pipped egg is now a threat to the remaining eggs. Sorry for all the questions.

If you're pretty sure its dead, go ahead and toss it.

I can easily see into my guinea eggs. If you're going to hatch guinea eggs regularly i suggest a very bright rechargeable flashlight. Mine is actually a headlamp.

Back
Top Bottom