1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hygrometer question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crest Acres Girl, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Crest Acres Girl

Crest Acres Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    Ok, I have two acurite thermo/hygrometer and a petsmart brand along with another brand of hygrometer/hydrometer, basically i'm getting really bad readings one says 35% another says 59% another says 64%.....jeeze lol, so I'm wondering what kinda hygrometer should I buy thats the most accurate. Can anyone give me a brand or where I can get it? Thanks [​IMG] I have a good thermometer its spot check <3 but now I need a good hygrometer Thanks!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use an accurite thermometer/hygrometer that works fairly well. You can calibrate yours, to get an idea of far off they are. It also depends on where you have yours at in the bator, and whether or not you have a fan. I used to put tons of water in mine,before I added the fan, and it would never go up high enough. After I added the fan, I barely need to add water at all for it to stay up. I believe it's because of the air circulating, so the hygrometer can read it better.

To calibrate it, you put 1/4 cup salt in 1/2 cup water in a bowl. Put the bowl and hygrometer in a ziploc baggie for at least 8 hours. After 8 hours it should read 75%. You can tell how far off it is this way.

3. Crest Acres Girl

Crest Acres Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    I did that...it says its at 81% is it possible to be that much off?! accurite

4. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    Yah I kinda want to know what kinda hygrometers are most accurate. Did you try researching? I think the ones with the wick stuff is most accurate isnt it?

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I am using the Xterra digital hydrometer from Petsmart too. I love mine, although I haven't calibrated it, and i dont know that I want to... ignorance is bliss.

6. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    I guess as long as it works huh? [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't believe there is any certain brand that is more accurate than another, it just depends on how they are made. Some hatcheries sell hygro/thermometers that are supposed to be accurate to within +/- .5 degree, maybe you should check them out. I think McMurray has them, though not sure.

<edit> but yes it is possible for it to be that much off. Mine are both about -2%, so they aren't quite that bad.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by