Hygrometer question

Crest Acres Girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern California
Ok, I have two acurite thermo/hygrometer and a petsmart brand along with another brand of hygrometer/hydrometer, basically i'm getting really bad readings one says 35% another says 59% another says 64%.....jeeze lol, so I'm wondering what kinda hygrometer should I buy thats the most accurate. Can anyone give me a brand or where I can get it? Thanks
smile.png
I have a good thermometer its spot check <3 but now I need a good hygrometer Thanks!

I use an accurite thermometer/hygrometer that works fairly well. You can calibrate yours, to get an idea of far off they are. It also depends on where you have yours at in the bator, and whether or not you have a fan. I used to put tons of water in mine,before I added the fan, and it would never go up high enough. After I added the fan, I barely need to add water at all for it to stay up. I believe it's because of the air circulating, so the hygrometer can read it better.

To calibrate it, you put 1/4 cup salt in 1/2 cup water in a bowl. Put the bowl and hygrometer in a ziploc baggie for at least 8 hours. After 8 hours it should read 75%. You can tell how far off it is this way.

I don't believe there is any certain brand that is more accurate than another, it just depends on how they are made. Some hatcheries sell hygro/thermometers that are supposed to be accurate to within +/- .5 degree, maybe you should check them out. I think McMurray has them, though not sure.

<edit> but yes it is possible for it to be that much off. Mine are both about -2%, so they aren't quite that bad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom