Hypocritical?

I for one have Cats and let them roam!! BUT here is the deal IF your cat is on my property and Eating MY chickens then YOU have the right to dispose of it and Tell Me about It! If you have animals and they free range YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE ANIMALS AND ANY PROBLEMS THEY CAUSE! What I am trying to say is They are Hipocrits and Mr Big needs to go! I love animals but belive it is the owners responsibility to control them

Ernie

To answer a few questions. No, they do not have children. They lose cats quite regularly to our normal predators here in the woods, which IMO is irresponsible. I don't think they wouldn't believe me that it's a possibility the cat took the chick, but I know them and they realize cats are predators. Now why they don't keep the cat inside to prevent the cat from hunting is beyond me. I guess they have a different opinion than I do about that.

MY cat is about 17 years old. Know why? I keep her inside.

No, I did not SEE the cat take her. I clearly said in my post that I am "pretty sure" it was due to a cat. My son let the girls out to free range about 10:45. I was in the house for about an hour and went out to check on them. I also occasionally look out to see them. There were not any hawks around. The chick was killed within 20 feet of my house and was under the forsythia bushes where they like to hang out. A hawk would have taken the bird in the open yard, not under the bushes, and also taken the carcass. It was in brood daylight, so that rules out most predators. The cat runs when I open the door. I see this cat ALL THE TIME in my yard. I am guessing those of you who are for the cat are going to crab at me because I should have known the cat was a threat. Okay, sure, valid point. However, that doesn't make it okay for the cat to be on my property.

I also did state that I realize loss is part of free ranging. I have no problem with that. If this were most likely a wild predator, I would count my losses. In fact, I am even though I am suspicious of the cat. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was regarding a neighbor who calls animal control on another neighbors hens, but lets their cat roam around. I think most agree with me that's a bit hypocritical.

This was MOST LIKELY done by that cat. I have not accused anyone, nor am I going to start a fight with my neighbors. I am most likely just going to mention it in passing. Or I am going to let my husband get a pellet gun and scare them off my land. Believe it or not, my husband is the one that is most upset. MY children were the ones that were upset, but I am pretty practical about these things so they seem to be ok. We have no intention of permanently harming the cat. We have lived her for years, putting up with the cats roaming, and if this was the cat, I am pretty much over the cat being over here all the time.

Poor chickie.

My 2 cats are indoor only. I definitely would not trust Baby around birds cause he likes shredding his feather toys and chewing them up real good.
We had a group of strays that my folks made the mistake of feeding that we just recently got rid of as we do not want them messing with our new chickens.
These strays were very good hunting cats. One escaped the big round up and still wanders about. Seen him with an adult squirrel running to his favorite hiding spot to eat it.

If the cat was successful getting one chick he will most likely try it again. It could also have been gotten by a coon or dog. Hard to say if you did not actually witness the attack.
Cats are very good hunters when they are in the mood for it. And most hunters will take the easiest target that equals less effort when they can.

I have yet to figure out why some cat owners think that since it's a cat then it has the right to roam. We have a leash law in our town and that includes cats. Sometimes even dog owners think that it's okay for "their " dogs to run. After all, it's dark outside or maybe it's the weekend or what ever other reason they want to be irresponsible pet owners. On a Sunday morning I was outside on the closed in back porch with my cats and there were two dogs running loose. They ran over to my neighbors house where she had tied her puppy up outside to do his job and these two roaming dogs killed it. The screams that this puppy had made my hair stand on end. It was horrible. The owner of the puppy came outside and saw her dead puppy and just cried. So with that said, what makes us think that we have the right to let our pets infringe on the rights of others? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you! Keep ALL of your pets on your own property. Make sure you aren't a "pet" hypocrite.

Quote:
That is a very big risk of keeping a dog on a chain - it is defenseless. Stupid act on the part of the puppy owner, though not to say that the loose dogs' owners are off the hook either.
A fence not only keeps your own animals IN, but other predators OUT.

If you are going to complain about somebody else, you had better cover your own butt. This applies to everything under the sun, pets included. It works both ways though. It seems that the OP needs to ensure that their birds ALWAYS stay home before they really have justification for removing Big Cat.

If the cat owner doesn't believe thier cat roams the nieghborhood, this may be the time for a paint ball gun. (Did I really say that) When the cat comes around hit it with a bright red ball and call the owner. Tell them would you did and why. Then if they still don't believe you, bring Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson out and take care of the problem. Just be sure it is a kill shot. Then it is time for the golden rule SSS.

I would give your neighbors a few dz eggs and try to keep the peace of possible. I would talk to them about their cat and express your concerns about it killing one of your birds. After you do all you can and they still insist on being turds, I would trap and dispatch their cat. There is nothing that drives me more nuts than people who claim they love their pets but refuse to keep them up.

Good luck to you...

Quote:
My goodness, I didn't realize PC wasn't a cat person! I do agree with him, though. Pet cats should be kept indoors if the owners want them to live.

If a friendly chat does not work, the there is always the tried and true methods of a shotgun or a trap. If a trap is used, suspicion can always be directed towards that coyote you saw just the other day, right after the cat went missing. Best to maintain peaceful relations with neighbors, even at cost of a fib. They might be suspicious, but then they would always have a doubt even about that suspicion what with a coyote seen around those parts.
smile.png

Since what's done is done and the cat still stands, go talk to them. Let them know what happened and make it clear that if it happens again you intend to protect your livestock by any means necessary -- IOW, you will shoot the cat. And then follow through.

Personally, I have not had any problems yet *knock on wood* with stray dogs and cats. That said I have a shoot first, ask questions later policy. If I see the cat or dog attacking I'll shoot it on the spot and deliver it back to it's owners dead with a bill for the losses I incurred. If I don't get the dog/cat but I know whose it is I'll let them know their animal was over when I deliver the bill and make sure they know if I see it again I do intend to kill the animal.

Don't forget the part where you bill them for your loss.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom