Hypothermic Hen?

Update: This morning she is up and walking, it's more of a stumble, but nonetheless she's improving. I think if I would have found her any later she would have been toast. She was out there frozen for probably 4 or 5 hours. I spoon fed her greek yogurt and feed mash all night last night and syringed her water every .5-1 hours. Thank you guys for all your help. I'm happy to say she'll be a housemate for a little while but I think she will make a full recovery.

Also for anyone browsing this forum in the future looking for advice, I could not find a place that was cooler. She thawed in my house which is at about 70 degrees. I kept her on a heating pad, and am planning contiue that and spoon feeding her for the next 48 hours. This whole thing was a real scare to me, and I learned with patience they'll come back.

Last edited:
mseely, hunger may finally get them to eat. Make sure they have ventilation. I live in Florida but I cringe at what you all are going thru with the deadly cold.

It is cringe worthy, I brought my silkies inside because it's a whole week of -30 degree weather, all the schools in the area have been cancelled. My other larger hens seem to be doing okay with it. I didn't prepare a run covered in plastic so they've been stuck in the coop for a couple of days. I have given them the choice to run around outside under my supervision but we have a little over a foot of snow and none of them want anything to do with it. I'm praying we will get through this week and there won't be any more weather like this. This is my first winter with chickens (last February is when I started but they were chicks so they stayed inside) but in the spring I plan to build a completely new coop. My design is pretty flawed I added some ventilation but I want to rework the whole set up.

It is cringe worthy, I brought my silkies inside because it's a whole week of -30 degree weather, all the schools in the area have been cancelled. My other larger hens seem to be doing okay with it. I didn't prepare a run covered in plastic so they've been stuck in the coop for a couple of days. I have given them the choice to run around outside under my supervision but we have a little over a foot of snow and none of them want anything to do with it. I'm praying we will get through this week and there won't be any more weather like this. This is my first winter with chickens (last February is when I started but they were chicks so they stayed inside) but in the spring I plan to build a completely new coop. My design is pretty flawed I added some ventilation but I want to rework the whole set up.
-40° weather here!

Back
Top Bottom