Hypothetically-- Could you make a super friendly chicken breed?

I’m thinking that everything said in their comment can also be applied to the relationship with humans as well. If friendliness between the same species is genetic, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be at least partly genetic for cross species friendliness as well.
It is partly genetic the question is and has been for a long, long time under what conditions do the genes overide the conditions and visa versa.
There is no doubt that genetics play a part in the behavioural traits of all species.
A large hen (by body mass) for example is according to a study more likely to be the dominant hen in a group, but obsevations of chickens in various environments have given a different result.

All studies have by necessity controls and it is often the controls that dictate the behaviour rather than the nature of the subject.

It is partly genetic the question is and has been for a long, long time under what conditions do the genes overide the conditions and visa versa.
There is no doubt that genetics play a part in the behavioural traits of all species.
A large hen (by body mass) for example is according to a study more likely to be the dominant hen in a group, but obsevations of chickens in various environments have given a different result.

All studies have by necessity controls and it is often the controls that dictate the behaviour rather than the nature of the subject.
So by using the discussed methods (breeding only naturally friendly birds,culling out flighty ones, etc) , I could create a flock of more people-freindly chickens, it just wouldn’t be consistent enough to say I have create a guaranteed friendly breed?

So by using the discussed methods (breeding only naturally friendly birds,culling out flighty ones, etc) , I could create a flock of more people-freindly chickens, it just wouldn’t be consistent enough to say I have create a guaranteed friendly breed?
Well, you've got a problem from the outset "naturally friendly".
No bird is naturally friendly to the human species. Some will tolerate being handled, some more easily than others.
You've identified correctly a further problem, the physical nature of the bird "flighty" has a bearing on it's behaviour.

It's an extarordinary complicted subject, right down to the point that should one manage to breed such a bird would it still be a chicken?

I highly recommend the book How To Tame A Fox (And Build A Dog). In the 1960's, biologists in Siberia mimicked the evolution of dogs using silver foxes. They bred the friendliest/tamest/most docile ones in each generation, and in 10 years they had foxes with wagging tails and floppy ears that loved human companionship.
I'd be excited to see what a similar project with chickens could yield!

No bird is naturally friendly to the human species. Some will tolerate being handled, some more easily than others.
You've identified correctly a further problem, the physical nature of the bird "flighty" has a bearing on it's behaviour.

It's an extarordinary complicted subject, right down to the point that should one manage to breed such a bird would it still be a chicken?
Well, maybe brave or adventurous is a better word. Like one of these people said, some chicks are more likely to approach a human in their pen than others, and I think that’s more likely to be a friendly bird.

Your definition of “friendly” seems to be different than the OP’s definition. I consider a friendly chicken to be one who will hang around/perch on people and/or is fine with being picked up and pet, and I’ve had many chickens who I consider friendly. But, I know that’s not the definition that everyone shares.

I highly recommend the book How To Tame A Fox (And Build A Dog). In the 1960's, biologists in Siberia mimicked the evolution of dogs using silver foxes. They bred the friendliest/tamest/most docile ones in each generation, and in 10 years they had foxes with wagging tails and floppy ears that loved human companionship.
I'd be excited to see what a similar project with chickens could yield!
Me too! And seeing as chickens are already domesticated, I feel like they will not end up so different from other breeds of their species and that they would still be considered domestic chickens. (That’s depending on how long it would take to develop the friendlier “breed”)

Your definition of “friendly” seems to be different than the OP’s definition. I consider a friendly chicken to be one who will hang around/perch on people and/or is fine with being picked up and pet, but I know that’s not the definition that everyone shares.
Right. I’m not expecting the same amount of loyalty as dogs, I’m thinking about a chicken that’s just a bit more friendlier than the others. Seeking out interactions with a person rather than ignoring them or running away

Back
Top Bottom