I’m a new member! Hello!

MattTheChickenMan

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
Hello! My name is Matt! I’m 23 and I live in Oregon.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I just got my first chickens on March 27th! I’ve taken care of chickens while house sitting before and fell in love.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 3 sweet girls. Willow, Buffy, and Cordelia. Their names really fit. Willow is the sweet one that will jump onto my arm and hang out with me. Buffy is skittish and will let me pick her up but will want to fly off immediately. Cordy is the Boss. She gets first dibs on food and will peck the others if they try to go against that.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have Bielefelders! They’re so gorgeous, I can’t wait til they’re fully feathered so I can figure out how to tell them apart again!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The therapy aspect has been the most helpful. I have depression, anxiety, adhd, and fibromyalgia. Having chickens helps me get up in the morning and get outside. I used to stay in bed a lot because everything is just so painful all the time, but they distract me from the pain, and getting up and doing things for them is a good way to stretch my muscles. Plus going outside helps me remember to take care of my plants! I also like that I can build little things like perches and ramps for them. I like making things.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I enjoy gardening, woodworking, fishing, hunting, makeup, and terrain building for tabletop games, among many other things.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live with my adoptive mom, my best friend/sibling, and our older roommate. We have a really good dynamic and it’s been going great living here. We also have 3 cats name Lily, Duke, and GameCube. Being disabled, my main occupation is the house Handyman and driver for my mom because her eyesight is degrading.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I did a lot of research before getting my girls and BYC was a big help! Half of my questions were answered here, and still are when I need help. I decided to join because I had an answer to one of the questions I saw here.
I’m glad to have this community to help support me and I’m glad that I may be able to support others!

These are my girls! Number 1 is Willow, number 2 is Buffy, and number 3 is Cordelia. As of now, the stripes down their backs are the only way I can tell them apart besides personality. It’ll be very interesting to see how their adult feathers look.

Attachments

• DC1CFB87-4F7B-45C9-8193-BCBA4C17F2F6.jpeg
    DC1CFB87-4F7B-45C9-8193-BCBA4C17F2F6.jpeg
    537.8 KB · Views: 2
  • F1508FC9-2762-4580-9288-0FD562D6F965.jpeg
    F1508FC9-2762-4580-9288-0FD562D6F965.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 6BD0C017-1296-4D2F-80B2-8C760914AC8A.jpeg
    6BD0C017-1296-4D2F-80B2-8C760914AC8A.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom