I’m confused about egg color

I'd talk to the feed store, and let them know. Feed stores normally order chicks from hatcheries, so commonly get easter Eggers labeled as ameraucana. Ask them where they get their chicks from. The sad truth is, if you want a pure ameraucana, your best bet is to go to a breeder. She's a beautiful bird, and the eggs all taste the same.

View attachment 1892397
I agree. This is so baffling. At the feed store it specifically says the breed I’m buying.

Many hatcheries sell Easter Eggers identified as Ameraucanas that are Not really pure . Ameraucana come in specific varieties that breed true and lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers depending upon their genetic make up can lay eggs of any color. Your hen is a very healthy Easter Egger

20190730_180609.jpg
This is Emily's first egg. I think it's green, my mom and niece see blue. Since color interpretation is subjective, we agreed she lays blue-green eggs. You could always get another and hope for the best?:fl

F227F7EE-7447-4790-987F-A8C2FDADBDFF.jpeg
Many hatcheries sell Easter Eggers identified as Ameraucanas that are Not really pure . Ameraucana come in specific varieties that breed true and lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers depending upon their genetic make up can lay eggs of any color. Your hen is a very healthy Easter Egger
I got it from a reputable feed store here in Petaluma call Rivertown. She is only 6 months. I got three so maybe one of the three will lay green/blue
:idunno

View attachment 1892408 This is Emily's first egg. I think it's green, my mom and niece see blue. Since color interpretation is subjective, we agreed she lays blue-green eggs. You could always get another and hope for the best?:fl
Funny but I think she’s been laying for weeks now and this whole time I thought she was sitting on another hens egg, cause I was expecting a blue/green egg to be under her. :D

I'm sorry it does not look as if you got a pure Ameraucana. Here is a great link that shows most of the accepted colors varieties of the breed. They also have a breeder directory if you wish to pursue finding a pure Ameraucana to add to your flock; they will always lay blue.

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html

I'm sorry it does not look as if you got a pure Ameraucana. Here is a great link that shows most of the accepted colors varieties of the breed. They also have a breeder directory if you wish to pursue finding a pure Ameraucana to add to your flock; they will always lay blue.

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html
I just called the feed store and they were shocked when I told them and said it’s a really rare case. They confirmed it is pure breed, But she feels confident my other two will lay green/blue. I’ll keep this feed posted

Back
Top Bottom