I’m considering getting a few chickens and I’m nervous

Lindaknipper

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2020
My town just started allowing us to have a maximum of 6 hens, no roosters.
I have always wanted chickens but I’m nervous about starting
What/ where should I research first?
I have Storeys, hobby farms and a chicken in every yard books on my couch right now and I’m a bit overwhelmed

I was nervous when I was getting chicks too. I think it will be great if you got chicks if you find the right place To keep them and get them. If you are getting chickens locally make sure the people aren’t selling the chickens because they don’t want them because the chickens are sick Or something. Get a coop if you don’t already have one.

Chicken care isn't really complicated, there are just a few points that are critical to get right in order to make it a more pleasant experience for both you and the ladies you decide on. And even when those critical steps are sometimes missed or misunderstood, chickens are amazingly hardy.

Your on the right track already, you haven't jumped into the deep end, run out and brought home chicks without getting your supplies and you've started researching! Good on you!

We're a friendly bunch, so after you've done some reading, if you still have questions about some specifics, the community will happily do their best to clear up any confusion or concerns with you! :)

Caring for chickens day to day is pretty easy, getting setup in the beginning can be tricky. Take time to plan your housing for them long before you bring them home. You will need to look at your town’s regulations before you build or purchase your coop, for example in my town they require chickens to have a fence and they require this fence and the coop to be a certain number of feet away from my property line. If a coop is bigger than a certain size a permit may be needed (just like for a shed or other structure). Other things to consider are the types of predators that live in your area and the type of weather you have. Once you know these things you can figure out what your coop may need and where best to locate it on your property. Storey’s has some good info on coop building if you are handy, if not, consider purchasing a coop and sharing a photo on here so folks can help you make any modifications that may be needed for your specific circumstance. In terms of actual chickens, it can be easier to purchase started pullets from a farm than to raise chicks. Generally they are a bit older, but less than a year, and a bit grown, so can tolerate being outdoors, and known to be female at this point. Raising chicks doesn’t have to be challenging, but started pullets are definitely easier. Storey’s guide has some good charts to help you choose a breed. Think about what’s important to you. A breed that will tolerate your climate is always important. It may be easier to just compare a handful of breeds later once you see which ones are available in your area. People who live near you will likely only raise breeds that do well in your climate so that will narrows down your options quite a bit. Come back to the site often. Check out “the learning center” and explore different topics. Once you get the housing piece sorted, the rest is easy. Have fun!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

As stated above, do some reading in our Learning Center, browse the forums and when you do get your chicks, ask as many questions as needed along the way. It may seem scary at first, its basic husbandry, cleanliness, good feed, lots of space and a healthy environment and they will do fine.

Welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom