I’m getting my first chickens.

Smyoung

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2023
Hello, I am new to raising chickens.
I bought a movable coop and run that advertises it can accommodate up to six chickens.

This is my first step toward being self sufficient. I plan on rotating the chickens around my garden area to help with bugs and turn up the soil.

Right now I’m trying to decide if I want to get laying chickens or chicks.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I bought a movable coop and run that advertises it can accommodate up to six chickens.
Pictures? Whenever I read this I cringe. EVERY single prefab coop overstates the housing capacity of their coops by at least 3x. It's likely only sized for 2 small birds but it made of horrible quality materials, has next to no ventilation and won't hold up for more than a year or so.

If you have any, do it yourself, propensity, come up with something that is large enough for the birds that you want. I did not used to be a diy’r but divorce forced me into it. Now, I can’t imagine life without these skills. I’ve learned along the way. You will save a good amount of money if you have not already purchased the coop and do your own. I am in the process now of building out a quail pad for the quail so I can have them on the ground. I bought a kids playhouse this past winter for two chickens that I ended up selling and have converted it for the quail. I attached an X pen to the Playhouse to give them more space and bought pink. (and I’m not a pink person but it matches) shadecoth to cover the xpen so they can’t escape. Still need netting for the top. You can find a lot of diy stuff on CL. In your situation, you could convert a playhouse and add 2X pens and probably save over buying a coop that you have to put together that holds up maybe one season. Due to the fact of where I live it’s extremely windy so I have to take that into account where I place the pen, other than that the sky is the limit on what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom