I’m glad I installed an electric fence, the bears are back.

Coldd

Songster
Dec 11, 2021
I was working late and got a text from my SO about there being banging outside. It’s late, maybe 1130pm. Tomorrow is trash day, the weather is cooling down, and that means one thing: bears. Black bears, for now.

I feel so much better about the coop and our back yard knowing we have a (mostly) proper electric fence setup. Our neighbor has a low fence that butts up against our property, so the bears are boxes out.

I saw a few porch lights kick on, some really loud BOOMs down the neighborhood( sounded like cans getting knocked over, HARD), and a can that had been knocked over and the garbage torn about.

Here’s to a safe, fall season. Especially to you all that live in bear country and get out for hunting or recreating.

We have 4 black bears that show up regularly on our trail/driveway cameras, so we knew electric fencing was a MUST before getting chickens. Bear incursions (tearing through our 7-foot wire deer fence to get at fruit trees) made us electrify long before we established our coop, run and flock. We chose to live on the fringe of their forest, so not a surprise! So far they've each learned by touching once - CRACK!!! - then fence-trained. Hope that continues!

Back
Top Bottom