I’m heading to the auction!

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I’m about to leave for the auction in south jersey. Someone posted about it in my state thread and I went about 3 weeks ago. Last time I took 9 adult males, various colors and patterns, 38 chicks - 5 day olds (18 celadons and 20 mixed normal and celadon carriers), and about 8 dozen eggs. I received a check for $79 and change. It costs me about $24 for gas total. I had quoted my reptile guy $35 for all that and he cancelled last minute, again, so getting almost $55 for them was great.

This time I’m taking 14 adult males, 6 adult celadon carrier (normal) laying hens, and 12 dozen hatching eggs. Last time I got like $2.10 per dozen eggs, I’m hoping the eggs will basically cover my gas, leaving the birds as profit. The males surprisingly sold for about $5 each last time, and the chicks were under $1 each. I thought the males would be cheap, I was elated with $5 each. I have no idea what my hens will sell for, I’m so excited! Wish me luck, I won’t know how much I’m getting until like Saturday when the check comes in the mail.

how are you transporting them? someone else here made little travel cages out of repurposed boxes???
For the auction or selling in general, I put them in cardboard boxes. I poke holes in the sides for them and I just fold the top flaps under over to stay closed. For people who have their own cages when I sell on CL, I have some small plastic bins, maybe 4 gallon size ish, and I used a hot knife to poke a billion holes in the lids, I originally used them to move our hamsters when we moved. Now they are quail travel cages. For the eggs, I cut the top half off soda can cases, put pine chips in the bottom, and stand all of them point down in there in neat little rows easy to count.

I’m back! All went well, now I have to wait til the weekend to see how much I made. They had so many cute, tiny little chickens, some barely bigger than quail, not the usual small ones I’ve seen like silkies and seramas. No idea what they were called but they were really adorable with their tiny little wattles and combs.

Back
Top Bottom