I’m looking at showing my polish rooster

Chicken_girl17

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Oregon
Hi I’m looking in to showing my rooster he is a polish white crested black I would like to know what kinda things do the judges look for in polish,how the show typically goes and would you say he is show quality he is my baby and he is are only polish so I would like to get other people’s opinions I’ll post more photos if needed some of the photos are older theee from oldest to newest
9ECE74E1-BE1C-4A21-878C-4A6E0247F159.jpeg
5B49E159-DD50-4D6A-A737-77041451F64B.jpeg
EB61E712-D77B-49A1-932C-BB54AFD21DC1.jpeg
698FFCB8-BADB-4D15-A25D-B774744F1BAA.jpeg
151E1205-D44A-49D9-A6C9-05482E3DAE8C.jpeg

Hello I am not a polish breeder but I do show my Silkies with success. I cant tell you what details they will be looking for but I can tell you the overall details.

Leg Rings (0 points)
The first thing a judge will check is leg rings if they are not from the Poultry Club of Great Britain then they will immediately bypass your bird. No leg ring is always best.

Type (20 points)
The next thing a nudge will look for is their type. The birds type is how it looks, does is show itself off or sit all slumped in a corner? How are its feathers, do they meet the right colouration and size category? Is it's body the right shape? Does it weigh the correct amount? Remember to never enter a sick bird because you will immediately be disqualified and possibly get a note from the show secretary!

Head (30 points)
The next thing they will look for it the bird's head. Does the bird have the right crest? Does the bird have the right coloured face, wattles, comb, hackles (only in a male)? Are the eyes the right colour? Does it look alert or is the bird gasping and droopy?

Legs (10 points)
Next the judge will look at the legs. Are they the right colour? Do they have the correct amount of feathers or no feathers at all (depends on the breed). Do they have the correct colouration? Do they have the correct amount of toes? Does each toe have a full nail?

Colour (10 points)
Then the judge will move on to the bird's coloration. Does the bird have the correct colouration in it plumage and skin? Does it have the correct colour in each part of it's body?

Plumage (30 points)
Finally, the judge will look at the bird's plumage. Do the feathers look healthy or are they all ragged? Are the bird's feathers clean? Do the feathers have any defects like not being the correct colour or being more like a silkie feather?

Clean (0 points)
Another thing the judge will look at is at how clean the bird is. Are the legs free of dirt? Do they have mud between their scales? Are the beak and eyes clean? Are the feathers clean? Is the tail clean? You will not gain any points on how clean your bird is if your bird is filthy the judge wont even take it out of it's pen, he/she will just move on. The cleaner your bird is, the better it looks, the better the bird reflects the hard effort you have put in, the better you look.

Defects that will loose you points
• Wrong type of feathers

• Wrong coloration in the beak

• Wrong coloured face, wattles, comb

• No crest or poor crest

• Crest obscuring the eyes

• Poor colour to either plumage or skin

• Wrong coloured soles

• Split wings (where there is a gap between the primaries and secondaries)

• Wrong coloured eyes

Reduced toe size or absence of a nail

Disqualifying defects
• Wrong type of comb

• More or less than the correct amount of toes

• Wrong coloured legs

• Feathered legs or feet (in your case)

As I mentioned earlier I do not show/breed polish chickens so hopefully who does will come soon and give you the smaller details but above is basically everything that the judge will look for overall. Good luck your bird looks great!

Ps. Welcome to BYC the centre of the chicken community! You will love it here!
:welcome :frow

Hello I am not a polish breeder but I do show my Silkies with success. I cant tell you what details they will be looking for but I can tell you the overall details.

Leg Rings (0 points)
The first thing a judge will check is leg rings if they are not from the Poultry Club of Great Britain then they will immediately bypass your bird. No leg ring is always best.

Type (20 points)
The next thing a nudge will look for is their type. The birds type is how it looks, does is show itself off or sit all slumped in a corner? How are its feathers, do they meet the right colouration and size category? Is it's body the right shape? Does it weigh the correct amount? Remember to never enter a sick bird because you will immediately be disqualified and possibly get a note from the show secretary!

Head (30 points)
The next thing they will look for it the bird's head. Does the bird have the right crest? Does the bird have the right coloured face, wattles, comb, hackles (only in a male)? Are the eyes the right colour? Does it look alert or is the bird gasping and droopy?

Legs (10 points)
Next the judge will look at the legs. Are they the right colour? Do they have the correct amount of feathers or no feathers at all (depends on the breed). Do they have the correct colouration? Do they have the correct amount of toes? Does each toe have a full nail?

Colour (10 points)
Then the judge will move on to the bird's coloration. Does the bird have the correct colouration in it plumage and skin? Does it have the correct colour in each part of it's body?

Plumage (30 points)
Finally, the judge will look at the bird's plumage. Do the feathers look healthy or are they all ragged? Are the bird's feathers clean? Do the feathers have any defects like not being the correct colour or being more like a silkie feather?

Clean (0 points)
Another thing the judge will look at is at how clean the bird is. Are the legs free of dirt? Do they have mud between their scales? Are the beak and eyes clean? Are the feathers clean? Is the tail clean? You will not gain any points on how clean your bird is if your bird is filthy the judge wont even take it out of it's pen, he/she will just move on. The cleaner your bird is, the better it looks, the better the bird reflects the hard effort you have put in, the better you look.

Defects that will loose you points
• Wrong type of feathers

• Wrong coloration in the beak

• Wrong coloured face, wattles, comb

• No crest or poor crest

• Crest obscuring the eyes

• Poor colour to either plumage or skin

• Wrong coloured soles

• Split wings (where there is a gap between the primaries and secondaries)

• Wrong coloured eyes

Reduced toe size or absence of a nail

Disqualifying defects
• Wrong type of comb

• More or less than the correct amount of toes

• Wrong coloured legs

• Feathered legs or feet (in your case)

As I mentioned earlier I do not show/breed polish chickens so hopefully who does will come soon and give you the smaller details but above is basically everything that the judge will look for overall. Good luck your bird looks great!

Ps. Welcome to BYC the centre of the chicken community! You will love it here!
:welcome :frow
Thank you this is very helpful

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

HOLY CROW....what a beautiful chicken he is!!! :love I know nothing about show quality birds however, definitely stop by the link to our Breeding to Perfection forums that @Pork Pie has left for you.

Good luck at the shows!!

Back
Top Bottom