I’m loosing my whole FLOCK !!!

Zoe-Cluckingham palace

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2021
Hello fellow chicken people !!!! I need all advise possible. I am loosing my whole flock. I have lost 5 chickens in 3 days. When examining them they have no injuries no mites no impacted crop. One was egg bound the rest were not. I checked my coop very well and found no bloody poop no signs of mice or rats or anything that could have carried a disease. When I find my babies they are stiff as a rock legs straight out and neck floppy. Attached is what everyone’s vents have looked like when I find them. I’m desperate and need help! What do I do what do I treat for I can’t stand to loose any more of my flock it’s killing me. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 9AF7F521-817D-4256-9A4D-95D88BFEB0CF.jpeg
    9AF7F521-817D-4256-9A4D-95D88BFEB0CF.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 23
You need to have a necropsy performed on one of the dead birds. Also might want to have your feed checked. And what is the temperature where you are?

It’s about 45 during the day 35 at night. Where would I have that test done ?
If you have an avian vet nearby, ask if they can do a necropsy. If not, here's a list I found from 2017 with labs by state: https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/. There is usually a fee involved and you will most likely need to wrap and refrigerate (but not freeze) one to two of your dead birds.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Losing one is hard, losing so many in quick succession is scary. I don't know enough about bird illnesses to help you with what might be killing them, but BYC is full of experts and excellent advice.

Last edited:
Hello fellow chicken people !!!! I need all advise possible. I am loosing my whole flock. I have lost 5 chickens in 3 days. When examining them they have no injuries no mites no impacted crop. One was egg bound the rest were not. I checked my coop very well and found no bloody poop no signs of mice or rats or anything that could have carried a disease. When I find my babies they are stiff as a rock legs straight out and neck floppy. Attached is what everyone’s vents have looked like when I find them. I’m desperate and need help! What do I do what do I treat for I can’t stand to loose any more of my flock it’s killing me. Any advice is appreciated!
This looks like coagulated blood coming from the vent. Did you or any of your neighbours put out some rat or mice poison lately?

We put out rat poison about a week ago. But not where the chickens could get it
Well, but the poisoned rats and mice still can move the stuff and get it to where the chickens can reach it. And chickens also like to eat mice and young rats, so when they have been poisoned, they are slower and easier to catch for the chickens.

I definitely think, that it is rat/mice poison what is killing your chickens. But you should get a necropsy done, just to be sure.

@LaFleche : good catch!

Oh no! I'm guessing they could get it if they are free ranging and peck at poisoned feces of any animal that has eaten the rat poison (and depending on what type of poison you put out, you could be poisoning all the wild and domestic animals in your yard). If your flock is cooped up, they could still be getting the poison if your coop and run covering have holes big enough for a rodent to squeeze through.

PoultryDVM has an excellent article on rat poison and treatment of chickens: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/rodenticide-toxicity.

They strongly advise against ever using rat poison. Imho, I would never, ever use rat poison in my yard because we have so much wonderful wildlife (and chickens). If rats are a problem for you, you could try rodent traps or buying a treadle-type feeder for your chickens if rats are getting into your chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom