I’m not sure how to handle this?

Awesomechickenlover12

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2018
Ok this story my sound far fetched but it’s true I just need advice, so about 2 weeks ago I saw a mouse it’s hole was out side but it ran in my coop to steal feed and scraps I throw a bucket at it but it ran away I put poison out side by its hole but it never ate it then I saw my chickens instead of killing it like every other mouse they bring it feed and scraps! Then the mouse had babies and they feed all the babies instead of killing them! The mice aren’t eating the poison The chickens every day give them the food! I don’t know how to get rid of them. It feels like I’m in A cartoon we’re all the animals learn to get along. Does anyone have any advice

It really doesn't matter how much the chickens and mice act as if they're in a Disney movie, you really want to get rid of the mice.

I have the same problem, minus the Disney cumbaya movie characters. I don't wish to risk my chickens getting into mouse poison, so I've bought every kind of trap there is. The mice have figured out every one of them. I finally made a water bucket trap out of a plastic bucket with two holes drilled opposite each other an inch from the top. I threaded a dowel through the holes with a copper tube over the dowel. The copper tube rests on plastic sleeves that fit over the dowel, making it possible for the copper tube to spin on the dowel.

I bait the tube with peanut butter and the mouse runs up to the rim of the bucket on a board I place there as a ramp for them to reach it. They run out onto the tube and get spun off into the water below. Some mornings I find five or six mice in the bucket, all conveniently drowned. You can find the instructions for the mouse bucket trap on the internet.

It really doesn't matter how much the chickens and mice act as if they're in a Disney movie, you really want to get rid of the mice.

I have the same problem, minus the Disney cumbaya movie characters. I don't wish to risk my chickens getting into mouse poison, so I've bought every kind of trap there is. The mice have figured out every one of them. I finally made a water bucket trap out of a plastic bucket with two holes drilled opposite each other an inch from the top. I threaded a dowel through the holes with a copper tube over the dowel. The copper tube rests on plastic sleeves that fit over the dowel, making it possible for the copper tube to spin on the dowel.

I bait the tube with peanut butter and the mouse runs up to the rim of the bucket on a board I place there as a ramp for them to reach it. They run out onto the tube and get spun off into the water below. Some mornings I find five or six mice in the bucket, all conveniently drowned. You can find the instructions for the mouse bucket trap on the internet.
Thank you so much I will do this

By the time you see one, there a many!
I think it's possible to use poison carefully, and it can be the only way to remove the rodents, rats especially.
I have a bait station in my coop, inside an unset live trap. Only the rodents can get in there, and they will most often go back to their run and die there.
It's not perfect either, but effective.
I have used mouse traps, and they also need to be set where the birds can't reach them.
Currently I don't have a barn cat, and that's not helpful either!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom