I’m not sure if one of my chicks is a rooster!

Milliemoo

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2018
I have recently purchased 3 chicks at 6 weeks old. They will be going in with our older silkies while they grow up as they’re incredible mothers!

I already have a rooster- a bantham West Sussex, but think that one of the chicks may be a rooster. They’re pekin hybrids. If this is the case how do I go about it?

I have 13 hens and they have a huge pen.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 46382233-E947-4680-BFE1-6DF283704BB0.jpeg
    46382233-E947-4680-BFE1-6DF283704BB0.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 30
Yep that red comb screams cockerel to me. Are you asking if you will be able to keep it? That depends, sometimes you can integrate another roo into the flock with only minor fuss but sometimes it's a blood bath. I would at least have another plan lined up if they don't mesh well. I've never keep roosters so I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

Thank you for all your replies!! I’m glad you agree in thinking he’s a rooster! I will try and intergrate them when they get older, but if they don’t get on I have someone who can take him. Our current rooster doesn’t show to many aggressive traits so hopefully all goes well!

Welcome! Your best chance to have a peaceful integration is when the chicks are younger, not older. At six weeks of age, the chicks shouldn't need supplemental heat, so having them all out there, separated by wire fencing at first, and then together, will be best.
They will need lots of space, extra feeders and waterers, and places to be out of sight, so things go well.
Mary

Thanks! How long do you think they should be kept seperate? I only worry about letting them out as we’ve had a couple of casualties with rats over the last couple of months. We’ve had a rat person in to sort it but still worried! Should I let them meet for an hour or so every couple of days? Thanks!

Rats do kill chickens, and eat eggs, and are always a concern. Have you rat-proofed your coop? Do you have rat poison out there, safely in bait stations that no bird can enter?
My bait station in the coop is also inside a closed live trap, so only rodents can get into it.
Also change out the bait type every so often. Rats are vey smart!
Mary

The banthams and the larger hens are locked away at night but the larger hybrids are left out with the Cockerel in their pen. I have 5 rat traps around there pen, but still worry about them! I’ve heard that peppermint oil will work? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom