I’m Seriously Ticked

I don't agree with shooting it. You can trap it and bring it to the shelter.

It's a cat being a cat, like a dog is a dog, a chicken is a chicken.

In some areas they have colonies of cats that are registered. They are working cats. Lots of farms have them too.

There are other options and I'm Kind of disappointed to see so many rush to killing a cat when there are other options.

Please do not assume it's a stray and not someone's pet.

I agree with others that you have other predators you're not seeing. Possibly because this cat keeps them at bay.

Please consider other alternatives before resorting to killing it. I agree with the suggestions of beefing up coop security as well. If a cat can get in so can other animals.

I too am for taking the cat out, it will come back. I have to off them way to often and they most often come from the same looser home. My dogs take care of most of them, if I look out the window and see one, I say "cat" and the dogs are all over it!
It is not legal (here) for a cat to run free, they must be kept on the owners property, or on a leash. They should also be declawed, else they can be viscous.
I can agree, it is not the animals fault, but we simply cannot shoot the owner.

I too am for taking the cat out, it will come back. I have to off them way to often and they most often come from the same looser home. My dogs take care of most of them, if I look out the window and see one, I say "cat" and the dogs are all over it!
It is not legal (here) for a cat to run free, they must be kept on the owners property, or on a leash. They should also be declawed, else they can be viscous.
I can agree, it is not the animals fault, but we simply cannot shoot the owner.

So, if you agree it's not the animals fault, why would you purposely sic your dogs on a helpless animal who *accidentally* wandered on to your property? I find that to be simple cruelty, especially when you can humanely trap and turn the cats in to the pound.

Vicious dogs are the exact reason why my cats won't be declawed.... they need a fighting chance against an unprovoked attack.

Also, to note, I believe in most states, to purposely sic your dog on another animal to kill it is considered animal cruelty.

Very simple, I will not put up with these attacks, it is written in our laws here that I can and should protect my livestock, and I do!
It is no accident they come into my yard to kill my birds!
I dont have to "sick" the dogs on to the cat, last one I did not know it was there.
It was a cat that trained them to go after cats, he would come in the yard and tease them as pups. Then one day he realizes, they have grown, turns and runs, and the dogs are now trained. Nothing I can (or will) do to stop that.

If it is in my yard attacking my livestock it is not all that innocent, if this dude wants to keep animals he needs to be responsible with them! Now this guy also keeps big viscous dogs, dogs that can easily go over the fence, come in and beat their way into the confined birds and kill them, I shoot them! Then I call the sheriff!

My dogs are hunters, they are here to protect my flock from any and all predators, and they do so.

What else can I do when the owner says "shoot it" then turns and walks away? He very obviously does not care about his animal me or mine! And before you say live traps, they do not work, I have never trapped a cat even using tuna for bait, I have tried and gave up.

I also shoot coons, possums, skunks,snakes and so on, whats they dif? A predator is a predator!

I hope you are responsible with your cat and keep that cat home and on your property, else you fit in with my neighbor.

Very simple, I will not put up with these attacks, it is written in our laws here that I can and should protect my livestock, and I do!
It is no accident they come into my yard to kill my birds!
I dont have to "sick" the dogs on to the cat, last one I did not know it was there.
It was a cat that trained them to go after cats, he would come in the yard and tease them as pups. Then one day he realizes, they have grown, turns and runs, and the dogs are now trained. Nothing I can (or will) do to stop that.

If it is in my yard attacking my livestock it is not all that innocent, if this dude wants to keep animals he needs to be responsible with them! Now this guy also keeps big viscous dogs, dogs that can easily go over the fence, come in and beat their way into the confined birds and kill them, I shoot them! Then I call the sheriff!

My dogs are hunters, they are here to protect my flock from any and all predators, and they do so.

What else can I do when the owner says "shoot it" then turns and walks away? He very obviously does not care about his animal me or mine! And before you say live traps, they do not work, I have never trapped a cat even using tuna for bait, I have tried and gave up.

I also shoot coons, possums, skunks,snakes and so on, whats they dif? A predator is a predator!

Perhaps, instead of getting defensive and upset, you should reread what you posted.... and HOW you *said* what you said.... note that it comes across as you take pleasure in the fact that your dogs will attack and kill a cat with you ONLY having to say *cat*... whether the cat attacked your flock or not..... a cat that wanders on your property is NOT an imminent threat to your flock... but you have assumed it to be so because of prior *bad actions* of a single cat (as you said in this post). And then you want all cats declawed as THEY are viscous..... even though, again, you said your dogs aren't discriminate about which cats they kill... * for the safety of your flock*....

In THIS post, you said *If it's in my yard, attacking my livestock it isn't that innocent* correct? Yet, in your first post, you said *if I look out the window and see one, I say "cat" and the dogs are all over it!*...... just looking out your window at a cat NOT attacking your livestock... just on your property is what that sentence infers..... and you sic your dogs on it.

If the neighbors have so many cats that you and your dogs are killing them off left and right, shouldn't the humane society be involved?

Last thing... if your dogs are hunters... wouldn't THEY also attack your flock?

At NO POINT was I saying NOT to kill the cat... I was saying killing a *predator* should be a LAST RESORT..... and your first post, to me, read like you were launching a preemptive strike with your hunter dogs......

From the lack of outrage at this post I see I have joined a forum in which I do not belong. The idea that just because something is inconvenient we have the right to kill it is abhorrent. We live on the edge of the woods, but with some work my chickens stay safe. The dogs keep daytime predators away and we close them up at night when the coyotes are out. The babies are fully enclosed while they are small. I feed feral cats in the front yard, put out table scraps in the far corner of the front yard for the possums and raccoons, I even manage a harvest from my vegetable garden without killing anything larger than a tomato hornworm.

Back
Top Bottom