I’m Seriously Ticked

I wholeheartedly disagree with shooting the cat. How can you be so sure it is a stray and not someone’s beloved pet?

Killing an animal out of defence should be a last resort. There are so many things on the market designed to ward off predators eg anti climb spikes/paint, noise emitters etc. That shooting first is just silly.

Cats are difficult to restrain, they often love to be outdoors and then keeping them in your property alone is not something you can do.

You get indoor cats that don’t go out, but mostly they will and once out we have no control over them.

I’m sorry the cat is attacking your flock. Why don’t you try feeding it proper food and then taking it to a shelter? Posting online to make sure it is a stray? Granted this all takes time but what’s a bit of time worth when you’re not destroying a creature of this planet.

The cats by me just go after weasels, mice and ground squirrels. They look at chicks but the adults are guarding the young... The hawks tend to stay away when a cat is in the poultry yard, which is a big bonus.
The county pound will loan a trap if we don't have one... and they will pick up when it is caught...and fine the owner... simple solution without antagonizing neighbors and breaking someone's heart over the death of a friend

Last edited:
I shot a cat 2 days ago because it keeps preying upon my chickens and chicks.

This led me to believe there were actual losses.

They can't get to my birds at all 10x10 chain link with roof and buried skirting.

If it cannot get to the birds then perhaps animal control would have been a better option. Live trap it and take it to the pound if they wont come get it.

This led me to believe there were actual losses.

If it cannot get to the birds then perhaps animal control would have been a better option. Live trap it and take it to the pound if they wont come get it.

Animal control here doesn't deal with stray cats because there is an abundance of them. And only srvice the area for aggressive dogs or animal abuse claims on large animals. It's also illegal here to catch spay and release cats to help the issue. They carry mange and disease, no reason for them to be around.

Last edited:
They can't get to my birds at all 10x10 chain link with roof and buried skirting.
Chain link is actuallypoor protection against most predators that target chickens. While it is strong, the openings are more than sufficient to allow for predation. Many peopleare unawareof how many predators can squeeze into or reach through the openings and take or injure birds. Also, chicks under 4-6 weeks can get out through the fence, leaving them vulnerable. A simple fix is to use the link for strength and cover it with hardware cloth....at least the lower three feet.
That said, if your flock was truly secure within that enclosure you'd need not worry about the cat(s).

Chain link is actuallypoor protection against most predators that target chickens. While it is strong, the openings are more than sufficient to allow for predation. Many peopleare unawareof how many predators can squeeze into or reach through the openings and take or injure birds
It has wire cloth on the inside, had my birds in it since they were chicks, so if course they could walk through the chain link and fit through chicken wire, cloth was the only answer.

@Mrs.SWhite89 .... my apologies, I had you confused as the OP of the thread.

It's all good! I keep all my chicks in hutches just because of the stray cat issue. It's so bad here! They live under our house and tore up our central ac ducts. Also we have 1 fox, he/she passes through our pasture and goes to the neighbors chicken coop. I watch it every night.

Back
Top Bottom