I’m so puzzled… my silkie is laying 2 eggs a day

Knnelson20

Chirping
May 1, 2023
I only have one silkie hen in my flock and she has laid 2 eggs a day for the last couple of days. She just started laying last week and took a 3 day break after her first egg. After her break she laid one, then has laid 2 eggs a day since. Should I be concerned?

The first couple of eggs were bumpy… seemed like calcium build up but all of these double eggs are perfectly normal.
She likes to lay all over the run and has only laid once in the lay box and 2x in the hen house.

I do have 2 light Brahmas that are approaching the egg laying age but neither of them are squatting when I approach and I’m assuming their eggs would be much larger… correct?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

It's likely her body is adjusting to laying. It's not impossible for a pullet to lay erratically at first. It shouldn't persist throughout her life and she will probably fall into a steadier laying pattern soon.
If you wanted, you could pen the brahmas and silkie separately and see for sure who's laying and who isn't. You may find one of your brahmas might be laying her first eggs, which can be small in the beginning, and will be larger as she matures.
Either way, congratulations on the eggs!

I only have one silkie hen in my flock and she has laid 2 eggs a day for the last couple of days. She just started laying last week and took a 3 day break after her first egg. After her break she laid one, then has laid 2 eggs a day since. Should I be concerned?

The first couple of eggs were bumpy… seemed like calcium build up but all of these double eggs are perfectly normal.
She likes to lay all over the run and has only laid once in the lay box and 2x in the hen house.

I do have 2 light Brahmas that are approaching the egg laying age but neither of them are squatting when I approach and I’m assuming their eggs would be much larger… correct?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
One of my Americauna's did this. They are adjusting to the laying schedule and will soon just lay one egh

Back
Top Bottom