I’m trying to make my hen broody but she keeps calling for my rooster, what do I do?

New Chickener

Hatching
May 7, 2022
So I tried to make my hen go broody ( not forced just teaching her ) and I thought it would just be waiting for her to sit on her eggs but I was new and noticed she kept calling the egg song to find her rooster, the rooster did the same. I don’t know what to do please help!

You can't "make" a hen go broody. What breed is she? The broody trait has been bred out of many commercial breeds and standard breeds alike. Also, how old? The best thing you can do is put fake eggs or golf balls in the nest box or
let real eggs collect. Make sure the nest box is in a dark, quiet place so that it feels safe if she does brood.

Hi! Welcome to BYC!:welcome Unfortunately, you cannot make, or teach a chicken to go broody. What breed is she, though? Some are more prone to be broody then other breeds.
So I tried to make my hen go broody ( not forced just teaching her ) and I thought it would just be waiting for her to sit on her eggs but I was new and noticed she kept calling the egg song to find her rooster, the rooster did the same. I don’t know what to do please help!

You can't "make" a hen go broody. What breed is she? The broody trait has been bred out of many commercial breeds and standard breeds alike. Also, how old? The best thing you can do is put fake eggs or golf balls in the nest box or
let real eggs collect. Make sure the nest box is in a dark, quiet place so that it feels safe if she does brood.
She is a buff Orpington and correct me if I’m wrong but arent buff orpingtons known to be broody?

She is a buff Orpington and correct me if I’m wrong but arent buff orpingtons known to be broody?
They are known to be more likely to go broody, they aren't always broody. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
A cat typically will leave your chickens alone, if you're concerned, secure your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom