I’ve settled on RIR. Now I have a question.

Rose_adamaj

Songster
Apr 6, 2023
Texas
Here’s my situation. I got my first chickens in 1983. The information available now is mind boggling. I have learned so much on BYC! I have only purchased chicks 3 times between then & now.
Well 4 times including the 2.5 week old chicks I have now.
I have Black Star & ISA Brown chicks. Kinda obvious they will be my layers.
I had decided to add 2 RIR roos when the ladies were old enough. I changed my mind and ordered 16 RIR straight run. They get here 10/13.
Now for my plan. I wanted the roos to breed with the black stars for meat birds. I realized that getting RIR chicks now, straight run, would give me meat & Roos much sooner. I’m going to breed them to black star because in the past my BS have been large ladies. Also because I love BS. My BS roo was the sweetest, best roo a flock could want.
Everything I am reading about roos says that the less you handle them as chicks the better. I handled the BS roo right along with the girls when they were chicks. I never had a problem with him, but I don’t know if that was dumb luck.
I am getting RIR chicks from McMurray. I got ordered layer chicks from different hatchery.
How early, realistically, would I be able to sex the RIR?
What are opinions about keeping one of two RIR pullets? Or maybe keep all pullets. I’m not sure if breeding the RIR to each other would be better than breeding RIR to BS. Maybe still put roo with BS to breed replacement layers?
I have five acres, I can set up as many coops & runs, & still have free range room, as I want. I currently have 2 coops & runs.
Opinions, advice, questions, whatever you think I would like to hear it.
TIA (I really hope that means thanks in advance)

In my experience because RIR roosters have such big combs and wattles you should be able to see the differences fairly early on. Those differences should start to show not long after they lose the chick fuzz. I have 9 RIR hens, no roosters right now but I have dealt with them in the past. It just depends on the rooster but they do often tend to be more aggressive. As long as they know you are in charge of them and let them be in charge of the hens and do their rooster job should be ok. The hens are excellent layers and very cold and heat hardy. The high production can lead to reproductive issues later and their laying can decrease significantly after 2 or 3 years depending on the bird. I find the hens to be very friendly and interactive (they love to be involved in everything) though a bit noisy but I like that. They often tend to be higher in the pecking order and can sometimes be hard on other more docile breeds.

Here's one of my RIR pullet when she was 7 weeks old as an example. If she had of been a cockerel you would have seen the combs and wattles much more developed and red.
mary chick 7weeks.jpg

In my experience because RIR roosters have such big combs and wattles you should be able to see the differences fairly early on. Those differences should start to show not long after they lose the chick fuzz. I have 9 RIR hens, no roosters right now but I have dealt with them in the past. It just depends on the rooster but they do often tend to be more aggressive. As long as they know you are in charge of them and let them be in charge of the hens and do their rooster job should be ok. The hens are excellent layers and very cold and heat hardy. The high production can lead to reproductive issues later and their laying can decrease significantly after 2 or 3 years depending on the bird. I find the hens to be very friendly and interactive (they love to be involved in everything) though a bit noisy but I like that. They often tend to be higher in the pecking order and can sometimes be hard on other more docile breeds.

Here's one of my RIR pullet when she was 7 weeks old as an example. If she had of been a cockerel you would have seen the combs and wattles much more developed and red. View attachment 3644777
Thank you! The information you provided is exactly what I needed to know. I ‘think’ black stars are a cross of RIR rooster and different hens depending on the hatchery.
I got started in chickens was I given some bantams. The first chicks I purchased were BS. I fell head over heels in love with them.
Your description of your RIRs sounds like what I love about BS.
I accidentally did what you said with my BS roo, I left him alone and he did his job quite well. Even being noisy, I enjoy hearing the hen shouting to the world that she did it! She laid an egg, and her egg is the most beautiful thing in the world!
I didn’t have many broody hens, but when I did, I let her sit. I had no problem with the roo or other hens when chicks hatched.
I am undecided about whether I will do it that way again.
Your picture is the icing on the cake for best information ever given to me for anything! I am confident that I will be able to tell which ones are cockerels. Of course, the only other time I ordered straight run I got all ladies :)
Thank you @DLA I appreciate you taking the time to reply and explaining how awesome RIR are:yesss:

Thank you! The information you provided is exactly what I needed to know. I ‘think’ black stars are a cross of RIR rooster and different hens depending on the hatchery.
I got started in chickens was I given some bantams. The first chicks I purchased were BS. I fell head over heels in love with them.
Your description of your RIRs sounds like what I love about BS.
I accidentally did what you said with my BS roo, I left him alone and he did his job quite well. Even being noisy, I enjoy hearing the hen shouting to the world that she did it! She laid an egg, and her egg is the most beautiful thing in the world!
I didn’t have many broody hens, but when I did, I let her sit. I had no problem with the roo or other hens when chicks hatched.
I am undecided about whether I will do it that way again.
Your picture is the icing on the cake for best information ever given to me for anything! I am confident that I will be able to tell which ones are cockerels. Of course, the only other time I ordered straight run I got all ladies :)
Thank you @DLA I appreciate you taking the time to reply and explaining how awesome RIR are:yesss:
Wish you the best of luck!!

Here's one of my RIR pullet when she was 7 weeks old as an example. If she had of been a cockerel you would have seen the combs and wattles much more developed and red. View attachment 3644777
Mine are 7 weeks old now and I see combs & wattles on the cockerels. I also see the abscence on the pullets. As a new RIR owner I really appreciate the picture.
I appreciate your honesty about their temperament. I have not handled any of them, I will start handling the pullets as soon as I’m completely sure of the cockerels. They will be separated asap.

Back
Top Bottom