I almost fought a Hawk today.

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
With the winter boredom setting in I decided to let them free range. They had only been out a few times since the weather has been warming up. This is new territory for the ladies since we have just moved. I have seen lots of wildlife up here at the new place including Red Tail Hawks and fisher cats etc.... but didn't think they would bother them. I have read posts on here where the red tail hawks have gotten chickens and others where the hawks don't bother the chickens. So I thought I would try my luck.

My luck ran out right away. I was leaving in my car and one of my chickens was standing in the driveway. Right away I knew something was wrong. It was the way she was standing very still and tail pointed down. (Almost as if she was in shock). She is never alone. She is always with her foraging pal. I immediately got out of the car, grabbed her and started looking for her friend. Suddenly, I heard a BAWWWGAAAAWWWWKK coming from the woods!!! Trouble. I looked and there was the HAWK trying to get her in the woods!
somad.gif
I through my hen in the coop and turned into super woman and ran into the woods through the briars, brush and prickers....screaming like a maniac to try and scare the hawk away. I saw the hawk strike my hen at least 4 times. She kept running under brush and somehow, by some miracle escaping the claws!

I don't know how many times it happened before I even got there. I am guessing the hawk didn't have the height to get the speed it needed to shock the hen and get her. She kept scooting and escaping. I grabbed that baby as fast as I could and ran out and straight to the coop. WHEW, my heart was racing. I was right up close and personal with that hawk and was ready to battle if it came at her again. I guess I thought it wouldn't happen to me but it did.

They have free-ranged for almost a year at our other place and never a problem. I turned her over, checked her all out and no blood. I checked both birds since the other seemed a little startled and they are both fine!
yippiechickie.gif
Looks like it time to build a run.

Good job!! That must have been scary. We have a hawk that lives in the trees in back of the field. Yesterday it flew pretty close to the coop, today it sat in a tree just watching from only about 20 feet away. I chucked some rocks at it and it left. I never thought it would bother my chickens, but there is obviously a reason why it is hanging around so close now.
hmm.png

Good thing you came home when you did!!
clap.gif

Yeah, they love chicken for dinner. Unfortunately. I really wanted to let them free range but I guess it will only be right before sundown and only if I am out there with them. DH doesn't even think I should do that.

Darn! So, you met our wonderful Ma hawks huh??
barnie.gif
it will be back...
hit.gif
i also have a problem with them here..and i have no clue what to do! i want them to be able to free range my small yard during the day..but, i dont know... its very hard! hope your girl is okay..
hugs.gif

I was reading this thread earlier. Just now I was watching Jeepers Creepers 2 and and saw the monster thing with wings flying around after the high school kids and it made me think of this post!!!!
gig.gif

So I came back and found it . I'm so glad you didn't get hurt and that old hawk didn't get any of your chickens!!

Quote:
Yes I met her!
gig.gif
The gals are OK. I did wonder....if I had a Roo if it would be better? I see you have a Roo and I am guessing he might alert them for you. Even then, it is a risk.

I see the hawks in pairs scoping out the yard from the tree tops. I think I saw a juvenile also because the tail wasn't red yet.

I can't remember if it was last summer or summer of 07, but a red-tailed hawk flew into a pickup truck window, and latched on to the drivers arm, on the freeway. The driver had to drive quite a distance before the next exit. Pulled into a gas station and got help getting the bird off. If I remember correctly the drivers arm was pretty well torn up. The experts said that the driver made the mistake of putting a coat over the hawk so it just latched on tighter while it was dark. Like flying into moving vehicles is normal behavior. The first time I saw a hawk up close, one flew just outside of my passenger window, looking in, on the same freeway, for about 10 seconds.

Imp- sorry for the run-on sentences.

i think if you had a good size roo it might help...but, mine is a sissy roo...
roll.png
he's smaller them most of my hens.. hes a silkie/polish mix..so..although hes beautiful..hes really just eye candy for my girls...
lol.png
he dosent really protect them at all...well...unless you count our shoe laces as a threat...
hmm.png

Quote:
This is funny! Now I am going to look out for the movie so i can see that! The hawk was just back this morning checking out my yard. He is Huge!

IMP that is an amazing story! Good thing your window was closed. He wanted to take a ride with you.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom