I almost fought a Hawk today.

Wow I am getting ready to get my chicks and runner ducklings tomorrow and have been working on my coop, duck house and runs. I am planning on putting a net covering on the chicken run but was not sure about the duck run.

I know we have a lot of hawks around us because they come swooping through our backyard trying to get the cardinals, sparrows, finches, etc on our bird feeders. I also know they have gotten a few because I have found the piles of feathers.

I think having a roo helps - if nothing else they'll sound the alarm. Once mine got old enough, I felt secure letting them free-range. Now that he' s become soup, the girls are staying in, mostly.

ep.gif
oh my goodness!!!!!!! thank god he didnt try to claw you too!!!!!

this would have been me....
hide.gif
and the poor hen would have been freaking out like this....
D.gif

aahahah you brave person you!!!!!

i'm so glad your hen didn't get hurt!! i would've done the same thing. darn hawk try and mess with me!! we have hawks around here and can see them nesting in trees right by our house, but they have never tried to get the ducks, too big for them i guess. what might help your hawk problem is getting a real big bird, like someone on here had a large turkey and all their hawk problems went away. as long as they sit with the hens, the girls so be fine.

Quote:
Thanks! People usually think I am pretty whimpy but when it comes to protecting the kids or the animals I feel like a lion.
smile.png

Every day since he has been back circling at the same time as if he has an internal clock. Today, I was in the kitchen with the screen door open and I heard the birds and squirrels outside getting louder and louder so I looked out and sure enough, there he was again. I ran out and he glides in a circle over my head and leaves slowly. You can see the sun shine through his red tail and he looks down at me everyday. My mother says stop grabbling the chickens when you see him, he may come down and hurt you.

Back
Top Bottom