I am a kid trying to convice his parents to have chickens! Please help!

I am looking to breed chickens, so yes I need a rooster. But now I am looking at breeding quail.

I am looking at a hova-bator, the brinsea is more expensive and holds less eggs.

In a brooder :/

And selling them before they leave the brooder

here is a problem I have run into, people aren't as quick to buy up the chicks as they are pullets that are either about to lay or laying. you have to take into consideration having room for the unsold birds..
we built our coop out of recycled material to keep cost down. I sell enough eggs each week, both for hatching and eating that we have zero out of pocket expense, it has allowed me to increase my flock, I have 40+ hens and chicks and three rooster. I sell pullets 2-3 times a year... I have made more money selling hatching eggs, at $1.25 and egg you might be surprised how quickly it adds up. if I have a good week selling and have left over after feed cost it goes into the jar for a week I might be short.
also something to consider is your time, we cant just take off for a few days, if we take a day trip we ave to be back before dark so the animals can be fed before going to roost and eggs gathered.
good luck! although I haven't been a teen for many years I still ave DH to convince :)

Back
Top Bottom