I am a murderer and a terrible breeder

Le Mitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Provence
So i have...HAD seven little button quail chicks and they are a two weeks old.
they have been doing great everyone is healthly; everyone is getting along, learning;growning.

i have them in a cage i made and it has two sections that i can close independently, one side has the water and play area and the other is nest sleeping area; all build with the greatest of care so that they cant get caught some where..;heck i even put Bubble wrap on the ceiling so they dont hurt their little noggins.

BUT yesterday, i open the nesting side to check them out and the babies all made a run of it, 6 ran to the other section with their parents but one made a b-line stright at me and the open door and doing like most people would do, instead of using my hand to keep him from getting out, NO being an idiot I slammed the door shut and i wasnt fast enough and he got crushed in the door..

No no no no i keep saying to my self; WHAT have you done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! quickly i opened and then he proceeded to die in my hands...
hit.gif

i buried him in my back yard last night, do you think the mother quial knows there is one missing?
im a terrible Breeder

he.gif

Last edited:
Don't be to hard on yourself.
I have made not to smart decisions with some my birds and lost them because of it.
Sorry for lose.

This has happened at professional aviaries and zoos. Bird follows keeper, and keeper either doesn't see them or the natural reaction is to slam door shut, and the bird is shut in the door and dies. Hanging chain barriers followed by a door can lessen the chances of this happening in walk-in enclosures, but it does still happen simply because accidents happen. All we can do is try our best to keep from repeating our accidents, and to learn from them. So, see what you can do to minimize the risk of it happening again, and let yourself go through your emotions...but blame need not be among them.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your loss. I do think the mother will sense one is missing for a while but it will pass with time. Accidents happen and you shouldn't take it too hard.

I am sure the mother will notice, but she will move on. The same thing happens in the wild. If one baby is lost to a predator, she will notice, but still care for the rest of the chicks. She won't hold a grudge. Sorry for your loss.

It's not murder unless you deliberately killed it. You're not a terrible breeder unless you keep killing all of them. So, innocent on both counts. The jury has spoken.

Back
Top Bottom