I am a new duck and chick momma♡

WVMomma84

Hatching
May 3, 2015
Lewisburg WV
Hello friends, I am not sure if I am writing this question in the right place, but I need help ! I have 2 mallard ducks and they are a little over a month old. I feed them around a cup of feed in the a.m. and a cup in the p.m. I know ducks grow quick but my husband thinks I am feeding them to much and they shouldn't be as fat as they are. Please if someone could please help I would greatly appreciate it ! Thanks in advance

Hello friends, I am not sure if I am writing this question in the right place, but I need help ! I have 2 mallard ducks and they are a little over a month old. I feed them around a cup of feed in the a.m. and a cup in the p.m. I know ducks grow quick but my husband thinks I am feeding them to much and they shouldn't be as fat as they are. Please if someone could please help I would greatly appreciate it ! Thanks in advance
I don't think you can feed them too much . . . I had two baby mallards last year, and I gave them as much food as they needed. As long as you have a good supply of water for them so that they can digest the food the right way, they should be fine. If you don't have enough water, or you are feeding them, then not, then feeding them again, it can look like they are fat because they're crops get filled with food before going to their stomach. If this keeps happening, you can put a little vinegar in their water to help break down the food in the crop. Also giving them a lot of water so that they can chug all that food down will help. Ducks need a lot of water. If you have any more questions, please ask!!!!

One more thing: I think you should not feed them two times a day, for they could get really really hungry during the day, then when you feed them in the evening, they will eat as much as they can. They are not like dogs and cats where you feed them two times a day. Like I said, feed them all through the day. When they eat all their food (which won't be for a while if you give them a lot) then fill it up again right away.

Mer

Last edited:
Thank you, I didn't feel like I was feeding them to much :) I do keep plenty of water for them and change it 3 to 4 times a day. I also have a shallow lid type of thing that they can walk on and get their feet wet (they seem to love that.) Today I put just a couple of inches in a small kidie pool thinking that they would enjoy that but they wanted nothing to do with it. When should I introduce them to getting in it again ? Ade they to young still to want to "swim" or "wade" ?

Ok, I will feed them more through out the day, I am so happy to have found this site :) I was starting to feel a little helpless. I want my ducks to be happy and healthy, they sure bring lots of happiness to our family !

Ok, I will feed them more through out the day, I am so happy to have found this site
smile.png
I was starting to feel a little helpless. I want my ducks to be happy and healthy, they sure bring lots of happiness to our family !
That's how I felt when I first found this site!! About the kiddie pool, I let my ducks swim in my bathtub with luke-warm water filled up about three or four inches . . . they loved it. I was afraid of them getting water logged . . . but it didn't happen so I filled it up almost all the way! OH MY WORD WERE THEY CUTE!!! They would dive down under the water then come up quaking and wagging their tails! I don't know why they wouldn't like the kiddie pool . . . Maybe it's to cold or they don't like the way it looks. After about fifteen minutes of swimming in the tub, they started sinking so I took them out and dried them off with a towel. It was really fun!

Sounds like you're doing a good job with your ducks! Yes, you should try feeding them all day for a couple days and see what happens! But, if it keeps looking like they're fat, then try putting some vinegar in the water. It worked with my Guinea Fowl who kept getting their crops plugged by eating to much.

Have fun with the little balls of cuteness!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know a thing about ducks other than how cute they are! You have been given some great advice already!! We have a nice Ducks forums as well that you can chat with other duck owners, share stories and pics, etc....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your babies and welcome to our flock!

Thanks, I feel so much more confident already :) I will try the kiddie pool in another day or so and will add warm water to it. Thanks again ! What is your advice about what age should they be givin grit ?

Back
Top Bottom