1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am a total idiot!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Florida chick, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    OK a momma Peahen got out on me last month I KNEW she must have made a nest I fed her almost everyday... TONIGHT she showed up with 8 Peachicks.... I grab her and she clawed the snot out of me.. I put her in a cage and the peachicks ran whistling into the woods. UGHHH I caught 2 the rest are lost in the deep thicket. We live in FL.
    SO I waited 2 hrs still couldn't find any even with momma calling to them. SO I LET HER GO! I kept the 2 chicks and successfully gave them to a momma hen.
    [​IMG] :mad: I am so MAD at myself! I thick I just made a HUGE mistake by maybe losing a gorgeous Peahen, trying to save a few Peachicks. OH MAN I am just sitting her crying. Any ideas???

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh jeesh! I know nothing about peahens...but I sure hope she comes back.....give her a few days....maybe the 2 babies calling will get her to come home. Good luck. And so sorry you were clawed....ouchy!!

3. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    can you track her? if so you can prolly bait her and her kids into a place that you can catch them all.

good luck

4. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I was going to suggest setting the mother in a cage and letting her call to her babies...But I finished reading your post and you said you let her go....

Do you have the male around still??? Maybe he will call her and the babies home???
    Or possibly just keep setting food out like normal. Give her a few days then maybe some kind of cage that you can trap her and the babies into....

Hope she comes home...
    Best of Luck
    Shawna

5. Florida chick

Jan 19, 2008
    Thanks guys, I CAUGHT HER! YIPPEE

6. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Did you get anymore chicks?

7. Florida chick

Jan 19, 2008
    I caught 4 more but I am afraid I either miscounted or 2 got taken or lost lastnite... They are so stinking cute!~ All have the Pea eyeliner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by