I am absolutey heartbroken.

uglybeat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
I need someplace to spill my guts as I don't want to appear crazy to my friends (though my boyfriend luckily understands!). I lost 2 lovely hens this morning (Peep and Peck) and 2 (woostah and ba-gawk) are alive and untouched. I came out this morning and Peep and Peck were dead in the yard. There's a cat next door, so I think it was him, as they weren't eaten but had scratches on their face and body. Does that seem logical? (they're about as big as a loaf of bread now-i think 4 months old). Tonite I lost it as Woostah and Ba-gawk were looking for them at sundown and making strange noises I'd never heard before, craning their necks and looking around worried like.
I have learned from these lovelies that chickens are so much smarter and have more amazing personalities than I ever knew could be possible! They come up to me and jump up on my lap and let me pet them. Sometimes try to get up on my shoulder and up on the head, which cracks me up and makes me laugh out loud (and hope they don't poop in my hair!). Everytime I go outside they stop whatever they're doing (pecking, pooping, the usual!) and run to me with wings a-flapping, making me feel like a well-loved grain bin.
I miss those two hens immensely and I guess I'll get some more chicks later on, but right now I wish I could have them back. Thank you for letting me spill my guts (and a few tears, gads. I just can't stop. Please tell me I'm not crazy!)

Ug, You are not crazy. It hurts when you lose something that you cared for and spent time with, and got to see developing its own personality and character. I have even cried over the loss of a a Betta fish, and I am not one to cry over small things, (but darn it, that fish would come to the side of the bowl when I came in from my tour, and it was company!)your chickens were your company and part of your world, and it hurts to lose that. You have my sympathy and my understanding. I send you hugs and compassion.

I'm sorry for your loss
sad.png
I hope you are able to keep the other 2 safe from the cat. Good luck to you
fl.gif

uglybeat.. you are not crazy. I love my chickens dearly and they are tons of entertainment and snuggles... even if it is food related! I am sorry about your girls and sad for wooster and ba-gawk.

I had a Betta or two growing up, and mine followed me from his bowl as well.
I agree, you get real attached to your pets, and spend time with them and get to know their personalities. It's sad when they go. And we will all go thru it, or have already, and I would say that most of the people on this MB understand exactly what you are feeling. Sorry.

You're not crazy. I lost my first chickens about a week ago, and I cried all weekend almost non-stop. They were sweet personalities. I'm so sorry for your loss. It hurts immensely.

hugs.gif

I am so, so, sorry. You are not crazy at all. I lost two of my precious chickens within a couple of weeks of each other and I cried for days over both of them. Still get misty on occasion and it has been a few months now. Chickens are amazing little animals and they work their way deep into our hearts.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom