I am amazed that some of you don't get eggs.

Quote:
Recheck your feeding system.

Who are your ten month olds?

I bumped up to the higher protein feed that my feed store recommended. They get scratch, kitchen scraps, and free range in my backyard. The three ten-month girls look like ee mixes. They were hatched in my classroom last spring. 13 of them were "accidentally on purpose bought last January. They are currently about 20 months old and most of them molted this winter, but since November? Really? My last one is my old crooked toed classroom hatch that I was told to put down as a chick by the feed store. She is the three year old and I don't expect much from her other than to enjoy herself as she was my first little class chick. Nothing has changed other than it being winter. All but the young ones have all been prolific layers. I probably will put a light out there. I was trying to give them "natures rest" but I am sick of feeding 17 hens AND buying eggs at the store.
wink.png

Quote:
Recheck your feeding system.

Who are your ten month olds?

I bumped up to the higher protein feed that my feed store recommended. They get scratch, kitchen scraps, and free range in my backyard. The three ten-month girls look like ee mixes. They were hatched in my classroom last spring. 13 of them were "accidentally on purpose bought last January. They are currently about 20 months old and most of them molted this winter, but since November? Really? My last one is my old crooked toed classroom hatch that I was told to put down as a chick by the feed store. She is the three year old and I don't expect much from her other than to enjoy herself as she was my first little class chick. Nothing has changed other than it being winter. All but the young ones have all been prolific layers. I probably will put a light out there. I was trying to give them "natures rest" but I am sick of feeding 17 hens AND buying eggs at the store.
wink.png

Have you conducted a thorough easter egg hunt around the area that they free range in?

My girls were also hatched in early April, started laying in August and around the end of October they went on strike.When I inquired about them not laying and how long their first mini molt would take (it looks like a pillow factory out there).. I was told "Just be patient and keep feeding them, even crows lay eggs in the spring!"
wink.png
There has been barely an egg to be seen .... then last week an egg appeared.. then a new pointy one.. yesterday I actually got 2 a bantam and a pointy one. Today a beautiful brown egg. I was really starting miss collecting those wonderful little prizes. I am so eggcited I can hardly stand it. Come on girls spring is just around the corner.

I got my chickens from craigslist about 3 mnts ago we were advised that they were 2 yrs old, first couple of mnths they did not lay.. then it got to be winter here and very foggy were you cant see the sun for many days anyways when the sun finally came out we started to get about 6-8 eggs per day we go out there before we go in for the night and nothing in the nesting boxes but about 6am we have about 3 and all through out the day we will find 1-2 eggs until we have about 6-8 we feed them there laying crumbles and they are in with the goats and they eat the grain from the goat feed also what ever scraps we have left over from every meal they get..we have only been getting that many eggs for the past 3-4 days because the sun has been out , but now its all foggy again so i am sure that it will stop.

I'm amazed that I don't get eggs either! Five Ameraucana hens, they are all 7+ months old and no eggs. My Buff Brahma hatchery stock hen was the only one laying. Her daughter was actually laying but then decided to go broody on five eggs. I debate getting rid of all the birds I am growing out and just buying some production layers and selling the eggs. I know I will change my tune in spring but right now it is frustrating!

My hens quite laying about 2 months ago. Last year they layed through the winter but not many eggs. Last year they layed 100 eggs total in January and so far this January I am still waiting for the first egg. Big let down. I recently placed a light in the barn and put it on a timer so I do not have to turn it on and off. I changed my feed thinking that may be it too. still no eggs. Thank goodness spring time is coming.

I am very happy to say that after being eggless for what seemed like ages (a couple of months) two days ago I got 2 eggs, yesterday a beautiful brown one and today 4! One brown beauty, 2 bantam, and 1 serama! I think my girls are getting back in the swing of things.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom