1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I.AM.AN.IDIOT.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickeneer45, Aug 24, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Ughhhhh i am so dumb!!!! I have a brinsea mini advanced with three eggs in it and today is their one week mark. I have been out of town a lot this week, and today I just realizes that i have been forgetting to refill the water fr the humidity level. I checked it just now... And: dry as a bone! I refilled it quickly but I have no idea how long its been empty. Any chance my chicks will still hatch? Thanks.

2. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Sure. Mother nature is amazing. I unplugged the bat or last night to coolfor cleaning and when I came down a chick had hatched four days late. Was sure it was a dud. Temp was below 80 and no humidity. Now the chick is doing fine. Plump and active.

3. chickydee64

chickydee64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    oregon
    Yes............I dry hatch and do not add water until day18.so I think You will be fine...........
    I am not familiar with your incubator.so hopefully someone with that knowledge will respond............

Good Luck............[​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, Eggs will probably be fine, you are basically doing a version of the dry hatch method, accidentally. Just be sure to keep a close eye on the size of the air cells from now on and adjust your humidity by them. I refuse to admit how often I did that, major reason I got humidity pumps.

5. chickydee64

chickydee64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    oregon
    I did this once..........was busy and did not empty the incubator until day27........You can guess the rest.........heard chirping.
    Looked into the top of the bator and a little chick was looking up at me....[​IMG] named it 27.
    I get so up tight when folks write they are going to throw their eggs out on day 23 or .........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by