I Am An Idiot

Thank you all...BOY, I feel stupid. Especially about my inability to candle. We sat in a dark room with the brightest flashlight we could find, shone through a hole in the end of a can, and we could not see into the eggs at ALL. This was after a couple of weeks, too. Maybe we need an LED?

Well, lucky you didn't open the egg all the way. our hen refused to lay on an egg on the 21st day. so we thought we'd investigate. after we opened the membrane we plopped him on my hand. it was gasping for air so after it died we burried it in our front yard. it was a sad picture, i still remember that day. i think you should be good if you see a lil' air hole in the bottom and if you see vanes then you got a chick. (we use a hot choa choa can with a hole and a high powered flashlight.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Nope, nothing had broken through the membrane. It was just wiggling beneath the surface.

How can I increase humidity, beyond just pouring more water in the channel? A damp cloth or sponge added to the inside of the incubator?

Quote:
Nope, nothing had broken through the membrane. It was just wiggling beneath the surface.

How can I increase humidity, beyond just pouring more water in the channel? A damp cloth or sponge added to the inside of the incubator?

Put a few paper towels on the bottom of the bator and close the vent hole (red plug).
THEN KEEP IT CLOSED AND DON'T OPEN IT AGAIN!!!!

My biggest mistake with my LG's was always impatience.

What temp does your thermo say? what thermo is it? where in the bator is it?

Quote:
Thanks! None of them are "bad," by which I mean there are no odors or cracks or bulges, so they're certainly not hurting anything by sitting there a few more days if need be.

Also, we followed the directions on the incubator (LG still air) for temperatures, and everything I've read since recommends slightly higher temps for still air incubators. So maybe our temp was slightly too low and caused a slow hatch?

yes the lower temp.,will make them hatch late.

Dont feel bad been hatching eggs for over 40 years. Got ready to clean out the incubator, after my last peafowl hatch was day 30, and when I open the door there set a peachick. Would have throw them out the day before,but was out of town.

Quote:
Thanks. Should temps be higher, lower, or the same for hatching?

What are they sitting at right now? Maybe up it a degree, but it probably won't matter much. They're already developing late. I'd just up the humidity. Good luck!

If it were me I wouln't touch the temp. I have the same bator you do and you could turn it up too much. That's what happened to me. I just moved it a hair and the temp went up to 105.

Accurite digital temp/humidity meter, sensor just above the eggs, reads 100.5 to 100.7 currently. It has stayed between 99.7-100.7 for the entire incubation period.

Back
Top Bottom