I am crying, because my DH wouldn't help me!!!! It's all his fault! :D

next time try chewing gum when you cut onions and you won't be
hit.gif

Quote:
Yeah. Right.

I've tried everything from cutting them under a stove air vent thingy (turned out it was the "non vented" kind which blew the air right back out at your face, real nice, Right?)
to wearing goggles to wearing a hospital mask
soaking them in cold water
every trick in the book I swear.

The best thing I've found is just to go smoke immediately afterwards
tongue.gif

For anyone else who wants it:

Mix in bowl:

2 eggs
2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 med. onion chopped
1/2 cup buttermilk
enough water to get consistency a little thicker than pancake batter (usually 1-2 cups)

Drop by Tablespoonfuls into hot oil and flip to brown evenly on both sides. Cook each side approximately 1 minute. Makes about 20 hushpuppies. Onion is optional, but we like them.

This is guesstimation on ammounts of some ingredients. I usually don't measure any of it...that's just how my mom taught me to make them. Same with the cooking time, if they look like they're burning then they probably are
big_smile.png
I have never timed so not positive on that either. These make a lighter hushpuppy instead of really gritty cornbread like some of the frozen stuff. I only eat these hushpuppies...I'm picky
smile.png

PartyLite candles... if one is burning right where you are cutting, for some reason, it absorbs the crying juice LOL... seriously!!!! having a candle burning will prevent you from crying.

I can't help but remember the story of the Little Red Hen....EAT ALL THE HUSHPUPPIES ALL BY YOURSELF, then laugh evilly as he looks at you while drooling...
lau.gif

Good lord.

I make french onion soup weekly.

Go buy a mandolin, use the handguard and watch your fingers. I can rip thru 15 onions in about 10 minutes, which saves my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom